Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

cooking dove

Old 09-11-2006, 10:48 PM

Default cooking dove

how does everyone eat their doves? anyone got any good recipes?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: cooking dove

Here is my tried and true recipe:

Ingredients:
20 Dove breasts
1 package of bacon

Seasoning:
Garlic Powder
Celery Salt (VERY IMPORTANT)
Chili Powder
Head Country Seasoning

I season the breasts thenwrap each breast in1/2 slice of bacon and smoke them for about 2-2.5 hours.

I also have a Dove Gumbo recipe that is excellent, but I don't remember the instructions off the top of my head so it will have to wait until I get home to post.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Put the breast in Italian dressing for at least an hour (more time if you have it is better). Take a slice of green pepper, onion, and jalapeno (if you want hot) and place it on the meat side of the breast. Use a strip of bacon to wrap the whole thing and tooth pick it to keep it from unwrapping. Place on some tin foil on the BBQ. Make sure you use a low heat. You don't want to bacon to cook to fast. DELICIOUS!!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: camelcluch

Put the breast in Italian dressing for at least an hour (more time if you have it is better). Take a slice of green pepper, onion, and jalapeno (if you want hot) and place it on the meat side of the breast. Use a strip of bacon to wrap the whole thing and tooth pick it to keep it from unwrapping. Place on some tin foil on the BBQ. Make sure you use a low heat. You don't want to bacon to cook to fast. DELICIOUS!!
My exact recipe, too! Very, very good. We let our doves sit over-night to really soak up the italian dressing! We go ahead and cut the breast off of the bone and make a sandwich-like out of it. breast, onion, pepper, jalapeno, breast...then wrap with bacon and hold it all together with two toothpicks. Everyone I know does it this way here in Texas...We love to do the bar-b-que!
Old 09-12-2006, 01:17 PM

My personal favorite is to make some stove-top stuffing and line the bottom of a baking disk with the stuffing. Brown off the dove breasts in some olive oil with some sweet onion and place on top of the stuffing. Then pour some cream of mushroom soup over the whole thing. Place in the oven and bake at 350 for20-25 minutes. Outstanding!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Straight up, fried in butter with a little garlic and salt
Old 09-12-2006, 07:33 PM

Fried!! Put a little bit of oil in a frying pan and fry the dove(after you bread them in a mixture of flour,salt and pepper.).. Let them set on one side for about 5 minutes then flip to the other side for another 5 minutes(cook on medium heat)..Once the dove are cooked have some milk and flour (salt and pepper too) turn the heat as low as possible and add a tad bit of milk to the pan..then add some flour wile stirring and milk and flour etc.. wait till thick and you have dove gravy..the best stuff EVER.. i usually tear up some bread and pour the gravy over it..
Old 09-13-2006, 11:54 AM

I like this recipe. throw a mess of dove breast on the bone on the grill throw a handfull of salt on them then put pork steaks on the top and cook over a low heat.