Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Ole Kanga's Been Cooking >

Ole Kanga's Been Cooking

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Ole Kanga's Been Cooking

Old 08-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Ole Kanga's Been Cooking

Ok here is the latest fresh out of the oven.

This is the Plywood Riser Bow.

I have not seen Red Elm under glass before so I was a little skepical about using it but boy am I glad I did.

It has some beautifull lines and swirls in it.

The swirls are just above and belowthe riser fade outs and should be intact when I cut the limb shape.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ole Kanga's Been Cooking

Looken good. I have been out of town and left my cell phone here. I noticed you had left a message, but I was not able to get it to play. Ill try to give you a call tomorrow.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ill try to give you a call tomorrow.
No worries mate
Old 08-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is there any kind of wood that can't be used for a bow? Or are you just tinkering when you use something like elm? Didn't know if there was arule of thumb or just look for a good grain and go from there.Russ doesn't know how to leave messages,he just babbles and rambles like his normal talk!Looks good Russ...when I'm rich I'll order one,I still haven't completely mastered the Black Ice yet.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is there any kind of wood that can't be used for a bow?
Yes

Or are you just tinkering when you use something like elm?
I'm always tinkering

Russ doesn't know how to leave messages,he just babbles and rambles like his normal talk!
Stop screening your calls and answer the phone[8D]

Looks good Russ...when I'm rich I'll order one
Well ya better hurry up and send me some doe ray methis one is yours

Your Initials are K.D. right?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: RLoving1

Is there any kind of wood that can't be used for a bow? Or are you just tinkering when you use something like elm? Didn't know if there was arule of thumb or just look for a good grain and go from there.

With glass, you can do just about anything. Different wood combos will make faster bows, but you can glass just about any wood. One of the fastest glass bows I have ever shot was a combo of red cedar and maple. Red cedar is considered to be one of the worst bow woods, just below balsa. With the protection of glass, you can put any grain pattern and even woods that would normally not work for bows. When you work with board bows or self bow you have to be real anal about the wood type, type growth, and grain. Laminated bows with out glass, you can get away with a little poorer grain as long as the backing lam is good. Actually, you can make any wood into a bow. You just might have tomakeareal wide design. I saw a guy prove it once by making a pine and a poplar bow.

When I work with glass, i like to use light, snappy woods for my lams and put in some reflex. Cores of bamboo make some of the best bows ever. I guess that is why Howard Hill used it.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

What about bodark(I think that what it is)? A friend of the family made one for my dad as a ornament but it does shoot.He had 2 good straight pieces and one he made forhimself and I saw him launch a arrow a good distance.I see some up on the ranch that is straight all the time,we use it for fence post cause it doesn't rot off in the ground it is heavy wood I noticed!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Dominant Buck

What about bodark(I think that what it is)? A friend of the family made one for my dad as a ornament but it does shoot.He had 2 good straight pieces and one he made forhimself and I saw him launch a arrow a good distance.I see some up on the ranch that is straight all the time,we use it for fence post cause it doesn't rot off in the ground it is heavy wood I noticed!
Bodark, Aka osage, is one of the top two best bow woods in North America. Ive got two staves of it cut out getting ready to put some bamboo on. I wish I knew where some osage was growing . When I was a kid there were tons of bois d ark hedges growing. Now you cant find one. I had to order some osage wood on ebay. Now thats just wrong. Especially since I live so close to bosi d ark country. Osage and bamboo is probably one of my all time favorite bows.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have plenty of it on the place in Oklahoma,we used to throw the "apples" at one another...man they hurt and are heavy! My brother will let you cut all you want I'm sure! I carry a behave stick in my truck made from some,no bend/no break when you swing the thing.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

We have plenty of it on the place in Oklahoma,we used to throw the "apples" at one another...man they hurt and are heavy! My brother will let you cut all you want I'm sure! I carry a behave stick in my truck made from some,no bend/no break when you swing the thing.
Im going to go look at some old hedges I use to know of, this weekend, if they have cut them all down, I might have to take you up on that offer and come cut you some shooting lanes.

Quick Reply: Ole Kanga's Been Cooking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.