Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

dove?

Old 09-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default dove?

I gave up on dove hunting because i can never get the breasts out without messing them up. how do you get them out intact???
Old 09-13-2006, 07:21 PM

Default RE: dove?

The way I do it is cut both wings off with kitchen sheers right next to the body as close as you can. Then using your thumbs rub the feathers off of the breast. Take your finger or thumb and slip it throughthe skin below the breast(or you can cut a slit there with a knife) and then using both thumbs take and pull the breast away from the backbone all the way to the neck. I then throw the breastin a big pan of water and clean it really good before I bag all of them, fill the bag with water and then freeze. The only thing that makes this difficult is fat, stubbyfingers and thumbs.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:24 PM

hold the bird belly up(the back in ur two hands) put ur thumbs on the peak of the brest..apply pressure push down and outward..this will rid of the skin and feathers..Then you move to the bottom of the breast (say it looks like a heart..bottom point). Stick ur thumb up there once the feathers and skin have been removed..Pull ur thumb up and rip out. u should have the heart and some of the organs on the rib cage side of the breast..dispose of those.. Soak it in water and clean them off.. then put in a tup a wear with salty water and freeze until ready to cook.. It also makes it much easier to snap the wings off the very first step..some people usescisors but i just snap em off.. Good luck and good huntin'
Old 09-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

I use the same method for cleaning and this is by far the quickest. Usually there are more than 1 of us cleaning so we assign one guy as a cutter and the rest breasters. I can clean the bird just as quick as he can cut them.