Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

cooking over fire

Old 08-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default cooking over fire

I am going to be camping in yellowstone in a few weeks. just wondering if you guys have any advice or suggestions for me on cooking over a campfire. i am looking for stuff i can cook fairly easy.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Spike

Default RE: cooking over fire

I like to wrap food in tin foil then place in the coals. This works with lots of stuff. You can slice up taters, onions, mushrooms, butter, garlic, salt pepper. When its almost done put cheese on top and let melt. You can also add some sour cream. This also works good with roasts,fish.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Roasted corn on the cob ... this is what I'd like to do with it before the trip , peel back the husk and remove the silk then spread alot of butter on the uncooked cob then cover it back up with the husk , then let it soak in water over night.
Make sure there's plenty of water soaked in then wrap it tight with aluminum foil , place in real hot coals and cover it good , let it cook for twenty minutes truning it a few times for even cooking then remove from coals and foil , peel back husk and salt to tast and enjoy.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:09 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like a blast!!!
I'll start by saying, Ido ALOT of camping.
You'll open yourself to awhole other world of cooking over an open fire witha coupleessential items: A portable "tripod" to stand over the fire and a grill grate and a kettle with chains attached to them sothey can hang off of the tripod.

One of my favorite things to do is throw together a stew or some chili in my iron kettle and then take off on an all day horseback ride or hunt and whenI get back it's done!

With the grill grate or rack your possibilities are really endless, but as far as easy stuff,I think Smokie links are great and are as easy as you can get on an open fire for breakfast. You can pre-patty some burgers and take with you to enjoy for lunch and a great supper recommendation (still trying to keep it easy) is some throw some thin cut pork chops or steaks on the grate with some season salt or something on them and throw you some potatoes in foil and chuck them in the coals
You also can't beat agood hot dog on an open fire.I know this may sound funny, but roasting bologna over the firemakes onedamn good sandwich too!!!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:19 AM

I VOTE FOR COOKING IN THE FOIL.... When I was a kid, that is the way that we did it. It was ALWAYS good. And with some of the extras tha tthe fols here have suggested, it can be even better. Take the extra spices, and chesse for sure.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 PM

I agree on the cooking in foil. I've used deer, duck, turkey, chicken, and various fish with veggies and spices and they all come out well.
Also if camping with several people with different tastes you can let 'em put what they want in it and everybody has there choice of meal.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:20 AM

or you could try a hungey, its pretty good but takes time (but is well worth it).what you do is dig a big pit and have a massive fire goin for about 4-6 hours depending on how cold it is and if you can pit rocks in it so it keeps the heat a bit more. you get a metal cage and wrap your meat in oven bags with seasoning and do the same with potatoes and vegies. when the fires out and you got enough heat put your hungey cage in there and cover it up with branches and leaves or a tarp and corrigated iron if u got some and wait for 6 hours.

i can post befor and after pictures if you want
Old 08-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the help so far. i dont know if i am going to take a grate. i am limited on space in the car. the foil idea have heard of sounds like the way to go. one question can you just about do anything in the foil? i am probably looking at cooking some brats, burgers,a steak would be nice to.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

anything you can grill! you can cook over a fire JUST A LITTLE MORE BABYSITTING.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:57 PM
XTP

ORIGINAL: BlackLab

anything you can grill! you can cook over a fire JUST A LITTLE MORE BABYSITTING.
Exactly right !!
In fact, I had to do this just the other day out of necessity. Had some really nice 2" thick chops on the BBQ and wouldn't ya know it...ran out of propane ! Quickly lit up the fire pit, threw the grill from the BBQ over it and...back in business !

Quick Reply: cooking over fire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.