Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Anyone use a Red Dot scope on their Turkey Gun? >

Anyone use a Red Dot scope on their Turkey Gun?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Anyone use a Red Dot scope on their Turkey Gun?

Old 03-16-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Anyone use a Red Dot scope on their Turkey Gun?

This is another item I may put on my new turkey gun. I have a Simmons Pro Diamond on my old gun, and it works fine, but I was thinking of trying one of these Red Dot scopes. Any pro's or con's or recommendations as to what brand would be appreciated.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone use a Red Dot scope on their Turkey Gun?

I have never used one but my dad put one on his slug gun this year and liked it alright. He said when you pull the gun up the dot is right there and there is no mistaken where you are aiming. I dont know how it would work shooting a turkey gun but I would guess it would be accurate enough. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 03-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tried one last year, and it was the best new-fangled invention I've ever used. The one downfall is that after one year of use, I completely destroyed it. In Bushnell's defense, however, I am very very hard on equipment. It has been soaked, beaten, rattled and bounced around and always held its zero.

After the last week, the on-off dial was shorting out and falling off.

My hunting partner an I each went to a scope for the first time. We both shoot 3 1/2" mag's from a Remington 870. He went with a Cabela's turkey scope. I went with the red dot.

Well, after he busted his nose, blackened his eye, and cut bloodied his eyebrow, he finally admitted that the red-dot is the way to go on the 3 1/2" magnums.

The eye relief is awesome, the laser dot is easily acquired and looks great on that big tom's neck. Laser dots are the hot new look for gobblers for 2005 according to the latest issue of Tom Turkey Fashion Magazine : )

If you get one, here's a tip - make a bright paint mark on the off-position so that you can visually check the "on/off" position of the dial without having to look through the reticle. I was always forgetting to turn that thing off.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:42 AM

I picked up a cheap onr from Wally world for about $20. I think it is a BSA, and it has worked great for me. The two drawbacks that I can envision ,which I have not actuall yexperianced, would be being on a hunt and your battery goes dead. Simple solution is to put new ones in each year. Secondly, If it is a really bright day and you are in an open field , you might have a hard time seeing the dot. But like I said, I haven't experianced this yet.

my .02

Spatrat
Old 03-16-2005, 12:23 PM

I got one this year based on all the information from this site. Bottom line, I love it. I've hade it out in the pouring rain, darkest morning, and the brighest south Florida sunshine and could see the dot just fine.

I sighted it in inside my garage and feild tested it on a tree in the feild and loved the results.

Now, so far the only thing that I don't like is that when you buy the scope you have to buy a bracket for it seperately. Make sure that the scope, bracket fit each other and they fit your model gun at the time of purchase. Two trips and 4 sales persons and I still got the wrong bracket for mine. I can't screw down the front support for my scope so I hade to apply HeMan strength to the rear screw for now. Will change the set up later.

Also look to make sure that the one you settle on is water and fog proof.

Hope it helps. I sure like mine.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:49 PM

I've been using the Bushell Trophy red dot on my 835 for 3 years now with no problem. But I always carry a spare battery in my turkey vest, better safe then sorry.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:09 PM

Thanks to everyone for your info. I think I will put one on my Turkey gun this year.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:21 PM

I use a simmons red dot on my 835. Just one year so far, I love it.

Another note...I think I read that some of these red dots scopoes are not necessarily rated for magnum loads or guns.

I know the BSA's are, it says on their website.

Carry a spare battery in your fanny pack just in case of failure.