Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

NEWBIE Turkey hunter

Old 09-29-2004, 08:35 PM

Default NEWBIE Turkey hunter

hey yall...just got my first turkey hunt. go ahead and flood me with links about first timers and strategies. I read the whole nwtf.org website. some of the things that are confusing me:

1. All the talk about busting the birds and then calling them back. why not just shoot the suckers when you first see 'em?

2. Calling im getting scared with this. if ive never done it...should i even try? what are the first calls to get when assembling an collection...or the most used (and when) on a hunt.

3. im sure ill find out when i go to a store, but what size shot?

4. What choke do most of you use for an average shot? modified, improved? same as birdhunting?

5. when i go to scout, what are the main things to look for besides medows. How do you know if they are in the area?

TIA for all your help!!!

jared anderson,

tucson AZ
Old 09-30-2004, 02:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEWBIE Turkey hunter

Read the link above and go back through some pages , you may find some of your questions asked ...BT
Old 09-30-2004, 02:24 PM

well i read every single post, and did get a lot answered. i am still clueless about the bust. my guess is that this is just a way to make the hunt more interesting and challenging? is this more favored among bowhunters?

so i think when i go out for the first time, i will try a kee kee call to see if they are in the area. this would be the best call right? then if i get any response then i can either set up near by and wait until they come out into a nearby meadow. i would have to do this before or right at daybreak right?

sorry for these dumb questions, any response is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:45 PM

extremely unlucky hunt, i guess i had fun getting outside though. I wish my dad or someone i knew could come and show me how to do this but o well. I will keep up on the forums and learn more for the next hunt!!!!

thanks

jared