Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

newbie duck hunter

Old 09-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Spike

Default newbie duck hunter

what kind of boat would i need to hunt a 2,000 acre lake? its usually not that choppy. I really want to try duck hunting but i dont know if i can afford a boat. can i use a kayak? i havent been able to find any duck guides around jacksonville,fl. any help to a guy w/o a boat or a dog would be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:16 PM

Default RE: newbie duck hunter

I have a 14 ft semi V John boat with a 20 hp Johnson, I got a great deal on it. It came with a foot control trolling motor, depth/fish finder, 20 hp johnson, fuel tank, and trailer all for $1500. Somthing like mineis all you need for a lake that size.

I use mine for the local resevours, you dont need anything fancy man keep it simple!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:47 PM

This is My Boat perfect for what you need a 12ft v-hull w/ a 7.5hp motor. Thats what i would get
Old 10-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Spike

One thing many new hunters do is ( UNDERSIZE) Their boats. A 12ft will work great I have had a few of them and as long as it's only a couple of hunters and a small amout of gear like (1) one dozen decoys and maybe a smaller size dog it will work on smaller bodys of water. Jon-boats 14-18ft will work great in shallow marsh/river type hunting, but would scare the heck out of me in a 200 acre lake with any wind at all(OK MAYBE A 18ft' ) would be ok. I wouldn't think of any thing smaller then a 14ft semi-V on a 2000 acre lake. A 14ft over a 12ft gives you more space for a couple bags of decoys, couple hunters, dog, shell bags,camo netting, gas tank, trolling motor, battier, & orrs. You hunt from a boat you will find it's great to strech your legs from time to time. Like powerstrokin said you can find a pretty good deal if you look around.Find an older 14ft alum semi-v and haul it in the back of your pick-up save the trailer fee, many a duck hunter hauls their boats this way.KAYAK No thanks! Up here inIndiananot many gators and not so many snakes this time of year. Keep the kayak for fun time boating. Please do yourself a BIG favore and find a boat with lots of space. You will be real glad you up sized a little with the room you will have when you spend hours in that boat. As well make sure you find a reliable motor for that boat a 7.5 would work fine as well as a larger motor 20-25 horse, you dont need to be running on plan to your place you want to hunt in the dark anyway. A trolling motor is great for decoy placement and retrieving. Good luck and have a safe season! Charlie