Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Newbie Turkey hunter

Old 07-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Newbie Turkey hunter

I really want to get into turkey hunting but I dont know alot about it is there any good books or videos that would teach me how to become a succesful turkey hunter?

Thanks

Die Hard
Old 07-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Newbie Turkey hunter

Yes there are books, videos etc. You may start out by looking thru the posts on this site and also checking out the NWTF web site. Thats a great place to start. Also if you have a question just ask it here. You can get some great information from the guys and gals on this forum. There are a lot of experienced turkey hunters here and also a lot of turkey addicts...
Old 07-23-2007, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

YES! SO many great books! I recommend ALL things by Lovett Williams. Great guy!
Check out his website!!

Good luck, let me know if I can help you in any way!

Hunt Safe!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

You can only learn so much from books, videos, and other sources. Im telling that the best way to learn is just to find out as much as you can, and let trial and error do the rest. You will learn so much more on your own experiences, every one has there own prefferences when it comes to hunting. Good luck to you!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well hears some of the books I've read

The Truth about spring turkey hunting by Ronnie Strickland
The whole Truth about spring turkey hunting by Ronnie Strickland
The American Wild Turkey by John McDaaniels
Turkey hunting with Gerry Blair by Gerry Blair
In The TURKEY WOODS by Jerome B Robinson
The Art & Science of WILD TURKEY HUNTING by Lovett E Williams Jr.
After the Hunt by Lovett Williams Jr.
Tenth Legion by Tom Kelly
Dealer's Choice by Tom Kelly
The Complete book of WILD Turkey Hunting by John Trout Jr.
SPRING GOBBLER FEVER by Michael Hanback
Tom Foolery 2000 by Earl Groves
Turkey Hunting Tactics Of The Pro's by Richard Combs
THE OLD PRO TURKEY HUNTER by Gene Nunnery

I would recommend Spring Gobbler Fever, The art & science of WILD turkey hunting, In the turkey woods and Tom Foolery 2000

Good luck next spring

Old 07-26-2007, 04:10 PM

Hi! I just got into turkey hunting as well! I went for the first time this spring and was blessed enough to find success. What I found most helpful was just to hang out around the forums and ask lots of questions. Every question you think of... ASK!!! What I found to be without a doubt the most valuable piece of advice is SCOUT, SCOUT, SCOUT!!! I did a lot of homework on the land I was going to be hunting and I got a pretty dang nice gobbler on my very first time out. Preperation is everything if you want to be successful. I am new to this forum and it seems like an awesome place to get information. Another great forum is on the NWTF website. It is very active and those guys are also very eager to help out a newbie. Every time I made a post I'd have several replies within minutes. Best of luck to you!

Jennie

Old 07-29-2007, 07:53 PM

Honestly the best book/video/etc... is written by mother nature... Spend some time during the off season, deer season, etc.. observerving wild turkey behavior. I will say that a good video on calling techniques and sound files will help your calling, but ultimately, you will learn the most from the turkeys themselves. I am a full time turkey scholar, all year I spend thinking, watching, practicing, dreaming, and eating/sleeping turkey hunting and turkeys.

I also pittle with some custom calls, nothing fancy... just in my garage.
I think that helps me stay tuned into turkeys and their vocals!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:50 PM

THE BEST ADVICE I HAVE IS TO GO IN THE WOODS AND DONT EXPECT TO SEE ANYTHING OR SHOOT ANYTHING. FIRST EVER TURKEY HUNT WAS IN MAY, SAW 2 JAKES BUT THEY MOVED AWAY FAST- DIDNT SEE ONE BIRD FROM 6:30AM TILL 12:00 NOON (SPRING TURKEY HOURS FOR NJ). MY PROBLEM WAS THAT I EXPECTED TO SEE SOMETHING AND GET A NICE TOM. BUT I WILL BE OUT FOR FALL TURKEY. HOPE I HELPED A LITTLE BIT.
-HILLBILLY DELUXE
Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 PM

IM SORRY I MISS UNDERSTOOD THE TOPIC- BUT THERS SUM ADVICE 4 YA. ONCE AGAIN IM SORRY.
-HILLBILLY DELUXE
Old 08-01-2007, 10:28 PM

There are lots of books, videos, and magazines that will teach youHOW to kill turkeys, but I'd suggest reading Tenth Legion by Tom Kelly first. He has a way of explaining the heart of what turkey hunting really is... and it ain't just killing turkeys. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Newbie Turkey hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.