Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Confusing HUNT?????

Old 04-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Spike

Default Confusing HUNT?????

Guys gotta tell you bout y season opener here in sc. Went out this afternoon on 600 acres i got. No birds roosting on our property but the birds are movin through our hardwood creek bottom all day long. from 9-6. thats just what my camera told me haha. But anyways i got in the woods at 1 45 and at 230 had a hen and jake come through the hardwoods.... the jake must have not saw my decoys in the creek bottom....(think i need to get them up higher on the ridge next time) but he just straight up left the hen there and kept walkin...the hen was lost and yelpin really hard for 15 minutes and she walked no lie within 5 yards of me it was awesome but anyways just wonderin why the jake left her there and never came back for her..... or answered her with a gobble or something? you guys ever saw anything like this?

Old 04-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Confusing HUNT?????

I guess this is why the turkey is such a difficult bird to hunt, because they do things that make us scratch our heads. That jake should've stayed with that hen but for some unknown reason he up and left a lady that he probably had a good chance at breeding a little later. What other male would do such a thing?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, I dont know. I've seen the hen leave the jake (or tom) but never the male bird leaving the female. Very good question.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe there was a Tom nearby that you did't know about and maybe he had seen you. The Jake may have lefy for his own good and the Tom didn't answer the hen cuz you were there. Maybe? Who knows what goes on in that little almond sized brain of theirs!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

maybe the jake thought she was ugly your geuss is as good as mine haha. Thats just the world of hunting.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Spike

It was wierd.. cause since you said that man bout 30 minutes later i spotted a tom across the creek and had no idea where he came from..... maybe thats what it was.. the jake might have knew the tom was comin behind him so he left.... but the tom followed the exact same path the jake took off our property haha oh well. maybe tommorow will be diff. but supposed to be bad thunderstorms all day.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep at it1 They'll do what they do!