Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Confusing Bear Hunt?

Old 11-12-2006, 06:04 PM

Default Confusing Bear Hunt?

I was out hunting with my father and we hadnt seen any deer or bear all year. So we decided to go out at 1:00pm instead of early morning. We came upon a beach tree grove. We were sneaking through it, and we didnt think we would see anything. I was shooting a CVA 50. Buckhorn magnum with a 295 grain hollowpoint powerbelt and 150 grains of powder. I look to my left and saw a black mass. I saw no head or tail. I said dad look a bear. As soon as i said that the Bear looked up at me and was getting ready to run. My father and I estimated that this bear averaged at least 400lbs. I shot right when he looked up and hit him in the lungs because we saw all his fat ripple for the impact. He took of and we searched for almost half a day. He was no where to befound withiin 2 miles of the shot. There was not 1 drop of blood any where. Does anyone have an idea of why he didnt die?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Confusing Bear Hunt?

A lot of my guys were positive of a lung, heart or vital area shot. If one of those are hit they don't go very far. Sometimes with the hide of the bear, it takes a while for the blood to run through the hair and hit the ground. Not being sarcastic here but I would say you didn't hit where you thought you did.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HedgeHog

I was out hunting with my father and we hadnt seen any deer or bear all year. So we decided to go out at 1:00pm instead of early morning. We came upon a beach tree grove. We were sneaking through it, and we didnt think we would see anything. I was shooting a CVA 50. Buckhorn magnum with a 295 grain hollowpoint powerbelt and 150 grains of powder. I look to my left and saw a black mass. I saw no head or tail. I said dad look a bear. As soon as i said that the Bear looked up at me and was getting ready to run. My father and I estimated that this bear averaged at least 400lbs. I shot right when he looked up and hit him in the lungs because we saw all his fat ripple for the impact. He took of and we searched for almost half a day. He was no where to befound withiin 2 miles of the shot. There was not 1 drop of blood any where. Does anyone have an idea of why he didnt die?
If you had hit him in the vitals there likely would have been some kind of blood or hair at the spot.

I've had gut shot bears actually stop bleeding so I guess that is a possibility.

No offense but my hunch is you probably either missed or grazed him.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:24 AM

There is no question that you didnt get a lung shot. If you had gotten a lung shot there would have been blood somewhere. bears can live on one lung...it is VITAL to double lung them. Also, contrasry to popular belief. It is actually better to shoot a little higher on a bear than what a lot of people think. Not at the level of the shouklder but...there is so much fur on a bear ecspecially on the belly/ underside that it appears that this is body when in reality it is fur and NOT a kill zone. This is a major consideration for trophy bear hunters in the spring where there is still the heavy pellage of winter on them.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

ORIGINAL: HedgeHog

If you had hit him in the vitals there likely would have been some kind of blood or hair at the spot.

I've had gut shot bears actually stop bleeding so I guess that is a possibility.

No offense but my hunch is you probably either missed or grazed him.
Actually you would find little hair and very little blood.Bear fatten up and with all that blubber,The entrance hole for sure would close up.If the bullet didn't exit there might not be any blood at all.Most likely you caught one lung and would take longer for him to die.If you are sure on your shot,most likely he is dead somewhere.Got to remember.Just because you don't find blood doesn't mean you missed or had a bad shot do to all that extra fat on them. Your shot was down on the bear,the blood would run into the bears cavity before it ran out the entrance wound up high with that extra fat not letting it spray out.Been there many times myself.