Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

confusing spot!

Old 12-05-2004, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default confusing spot!

I found a new spot about a week ago. Yes I now its late for new spots but nobody has hunted this area yet. I know this cause we have 10 members in our hunting club and after talking with everyone here and htere nobody has hunter there all year.

It is kind of close to the road but its a good spot. its about 150 -200 yards from the road. I kinda just got bored one day and walked in to take a look. My porperty mainly consists of mature pines, some clearcuts with young planted pines a a few hardwood bottoms.

I have my stand in a good location. I found a small rubline which either comes in from the road, or goes out to the raod. cant tell yet. there are 2 small scrapes in the area as well. I have sat in the mornings, and the afternoons, yet all I have seen is 2 small does and thats it!! I have tried calling with the can, rattling sequence, and grunting. Nothing seems to work. I am wondering if this is a spot they are travling at night?? or coming back in the morning when it is still dark..

I have enclosed a pic of the area. The white line to the left of the pic is the main road. The light grey on top of the pic is the access road into our hunitng club. the grey raod coming down through the center is just a small logging road to that area of the club. we have many of these in our club for access to all the areas of the land. The white circle is where I placed my stand. So you think this is just a night spot here or just bad timing in the last few times I hunted it ??

Old 12-05-2004, 11:04 AM

Default RE: confusing spot!

ORIGINAL: nosfedgta

I found a new spot about a week ago. Yes I now its late for new spots but nobody has hunted this area yet. I know this cause we have 10 members in our hunting club and after talking with everyone here and htere nobody has hunter there all year.
It's never 'too late' for a new spot providing adequate sign/sightings/hunches justify one's confidence.

It is kind of close to the road but its a good spot.
Sounds as if you've determined it a worthy spot.

I have sat in the mornings, and the afternoons, yet all I have seen is 2 small does and thats it!! I have tried calling with the can, rattling sequence, and grunting. Nothing seems to work. I am wondering if this is a spot they are travling at night?? or coming back in the morning when it is still dark.
Well, yourself, being familiar with the surrounding area should have a pretty keen sense of what represents strong activity as far as deer sightings. It's rather difficult for anyone else to comment on deer activity/your sightings when we know nothing about the deer density in your area, buck to doe ratio, hunting pressure, surrounding/adjoining ground, nearby agriculture, etc..

That said, the area appears to be heavily wooded, I wouldn't characterize this spot as harboring nocturnal deer movement exclusively, I'd be pretty confident they're present in such an area during hunting hours. Is your stand in a clearcut? Is that the bottom of a valley as well? Is the slope as extreme as it appears? Just glancing at the map, I kind of like the looks of the area straight SE about 1/2-3/4 way down the map from your location. There appears to be a ridge feeding down to it where it meets that bottom/thick brush? It's also furthest from both roads and I'm partial to areas that typically have several types of cover converging. Perhaps you will find an area there that offers the ridgeline, thick brush border, bottom, a more gradual incline of slope, and good sightlines for all of it.

Good luck...its all fun!