Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Confusing my pup??

Old 01-02-2008, 06:50 PM

Default Confusing my pup??

Just finished up my 11 month old black lab's first pheasant season and she did great, butI would like to keep the training and learning going. Where I pheasant hunt there is alot of rabbits and I thought about taking her out with me rabbit hunting so that she will still be scenting and putting up pheasants, but I will now be shooting any rabbits I see instead of whatever roosters she puts up. Will this switch in quarry confuse her and should I leave her home when I am hunting the bunnies?
Old 01-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Confusing my pup??

This is how most gun dogs in the U.K. were trained for years.Gun dogs there were/are expected to pick up whatever was shot. Most spaniels and retrievers in training there today are still hunted and steadied to flush on fur and feather.Rabbit hunting is not as popular here as it once was so for the most part we don't expect our gun dogs to be as versitile as they were in the early to mid 1900s.
I'd say it's a personal choice. If you steady the dog, the rabbits will only help on the pheasants and vice versa.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Default RE: Confusing my pup??

I dont think it will hurt. Any time spent afield is quality time for dog-handler bonding. You will have opportunities to practice her OB and the dog might learn some new things about finding pheasants that are going to be on the run. I wouldnt leave her home, do what you feel is best.