Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 first time turkey hunter >

first time turkey hunter

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

first time turkey hunter

Old 02-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Default first time turkey hunter

Hey guys, I have hunted the fall bow season for turkey, meaning I have bought a turkey tag just in case i see one while bow hunting for deer. But I actually want to hun turkey this spring.... I found some tracks in the snow this morning, from a flock of turkeys that were scratching up the ground and stuff, I assume they were feeding.....my question is, do turkeys have like a "home range" should I set up over where these tracks were come spring? do turkeys revisit the same places? or is anyplace just as likely to see one?? thanks!
-Jake
Old 02-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: first time turkey hunter

Turkeys tend to have different ranges. From spring and summer ranges to fall winter ranges. Im not saying that all flocks dont stay in the area. Im sure they will be close. Yes the scratchings you found were from them feeding. The best thing to do is scout them from here on out until spring. Watch their movements, check for tracks and sign. If you can do drive bys of the property you hunt on. I always keep a close eye on my hunting grounds.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:32 PM

Usually a flockofturkey will usually stick to a few roosting trees if you can find these trees in the spring and put a good set up together near them you should have success hunting either early morning or late in the afternoon when they leave and return to the tree.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best thing to do is go out and find where they are hanging out about two weeks before your season starts. Try and get a good idea where they are roosting and where they are going to eat and "socialize". Once you have this figured out, setup between the two locations and you should be golden. Sounds easy...huh? It's not...trust me. If you haven't ever really done any major turkey hunting, definitely do so this year, and you might like it more than deer hunting...I know that's what happened with me.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:23 PM

All good advise. When you see birds in winter they will probably be somewhere else in the spring, close, but completly different location thats when you need to really start watching them. Find them in early spring and you can pattern them. A couple things that will really give you an advantage is, #1 a blind - #2 Hevi Shot in your shotgun if thats what your useing.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

thanks, the extent of my turkey hunting is missing a bow shot in 2005. I was so nervous of moving to much, haha I am not one to get nervous until after the shot, never have a problem with deer..... but something about having the whole flock in front of me messed me up. So yea, I am excited thanks for the help!
-Jake
Old 02-20-2008, 04:27 AM

I agree with Arrow i would scout till spring watch there movment and do as many morning an evening drive bys as possible i found a turkey will change there summer feeding range to there winter feeding areas so it pays to scout alot.

MrGobbler