Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

bored of turkey hunting

Old 05-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: bored of turkey hunting

Turkey hunting can be slow at times, but there are things you can do to avoid boredom.
Exactly,when its slow, thatswhen boredom kicks in and some falter into .......over calling, fidgeting, moving locations, sleeping, and a pile of other hunt breakers. Sleeping is a great way to miss out on opportunity for certain. Got plenty of video that has two common happenings, a sleeping hunter, and a in range gobbler that walks away unscathed. Not sure what y'all would call the stimulous that makes a turkey hunter break into half azz hunting means and methods but I call it getting bored or disenchanted with the current happenings.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL:Not sure what y'all would call the stimulous that makes a turkey hunter break into half azz hunting means and methods but I call it getting bored or disenchanted with the current happenings.
It's called hours and hours of hunting with not much sleep. Surely you've experienced it. If I dose off a little I can promise you it's not because I am bored. I can see a beginning hunter getting bored and discouraged, but a seasoned veteran not as much. I'm not totally disagreeing with you. I'm sure there are many turkey hunters who at times get bored, but not all of us. I'm sorry man, but I don't get bored turkey hunting, and I'm not lying or BS ing.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:03 PM

Maybe you guys don't know what bored means. At times I get bored of turkey hunting, and that's when I make mistakes. I get less alert, imagine I had a .22 to shoot the squirrels, call too much, move a little too much. There's no way y'all can stay focused for a morning and only concentrate on turkeys. Heck, I'd say you wouldn't nap if you weren't a little "bored."
Old 05-03-2007, 08:42 AM

I don't get bored but I do get anxious. I love hearing the toms gobble. It just keeps me thinking they are getting close. So when they are not talking then I want to fall asleep. When I am hunting with my dad he does most of the calling so its hard to keep my attention unless the birds are talking. I was out hunting turkey in Pa last Saturday and only heard 2 gobbles. I think the weather played a part. It was rainy and cloudy. The birds were just not talking to us. We set up on one but never heard a thing after that. We headed back towards a field and did spot a hen out eating but nothing else. We set up hoping a tom would be near by but again we saw or heard nothing. I went out again on weds. but only heard one gobble. Nothing was moving. I will try again on Friday. I hope I can get the birds to talk on my next hunt.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, NEVER get bored. I could stay out all day, every day, during the spring. I do get tired though! Which definately leads to naps in the woods, which is one of the funnest parts of turkey hunting to me. Just a week ago I was with a buddy and it was about 12:30 in the afternoon and we just got back to the truck for some food. I decide we should set up in the shady area in the woods. My reason was mostly to sleep 20 minutes, wake up, call for a minute, then repeat. Man I dont was season to end!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:15 PM

No way!!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Nope if I get bored I pick up a call and start working on clucks and soft purrs.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

silent birds are no fun to kill.
After this morning I completely agree. I had a longbeard at about 60 yards. Normally I shake like crazy but this bird didn't gobble once and I was (mostly) completely calm the whole time.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

soggyceral....60 yds away and you stayed calm....you need to stop hunting ,lol.....i start shaking as soon as i hear a gobble, lol...God forbid i see one, lol..............