Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bored!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:21 PM

Default bored!

Weather must have even the most active shut in. Reading all the testing and shooting various loads really made January pass quickly. Didn't think a day went by when sabotloader, cayugad or pglasgow wasnt firing at something.

Come on guys....the rest of us are depending on ya!
Old 02-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: bored!

I shot yesterday with a CVA Staghorn Magnum in the back yard. Today I was shooting a Tradition's Woodsman Hawkins with roundball at 50 yards. I tried KIK 3f, American Pioneer 3f, and finally Goex 3f in the rifle. I wanted to see how the rifle handled unknown powders and then handled known powders. As suspected the KIK and APP did not produce the groups anywhere close to what the Goex 3f did.

Then company came over, so I did not shoot the other rifle I had planned to shoot. Actually it was only 10ºs and windy today, but the roundball shot real well.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldrookie

I got to shoot Mondayat Strychnine - shot the 50 Hawken and a 54 Renegade - still trying to learn how to shoot "Snake River lead sinkers" now that Idaho has changed the rules. Shot the 54 quite bit and I guess I am going to have to finally deal with the thought that the barrel is shot... could not get a decent 50 yard group at all with conicals. It seems to shoot sabots fine - but when you shove concicals down the bore it feels like rocks all the way down...

Got to shoot the 50 a bit also but I was shooting T7-2f and it really did not seem like I was getting the velocity I get from 3f.Got great groups at 50 and a decent group at 75, but then therain, hail, & then snow came...

Going out tomorrow morning to complete sighting in the 50 and get some velocities with both 3f and 2f... I am really interested in what if any the difference might be between the 2 powders. In myinlines I have not really found a great difference but I am certain there was a substantial difference Monday.

It is suppose to snow tonight - the heavy wet stuff and rain in the morning - then clearfor awhile - then start raining again... I am hoping to be onsite during the clear time...

Old 02-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I've been testing KIK 3f black powder in a number of different rifles although I am almost out of the three pounds I purchased. About 10 more shots and I think that will kill those cans. I really like the power of KIK powder but this powder has fowling that is not like any other black powder I have shot. It creates an almost hard crud ring in the barrel. Nothing that can not be swabbed out mind you, but still, with Goex I do not have to swab and can shoot all day. I think that in the future I will stick with simple Goex Powder.

I also have had a little accuracy problem with KIK. This might be cause because I am treating it as I would Goex black powder and I now believe (although can not prove) that KIK has a little more power to it then Goex. It really does not matter. When I order the new case of powder at the end of the month, there will be no more Kik of Swiss. I am just going to stick with Goex. Although I do want to get my hands on some Wano or Graf powder and see how that stuff shoots...
Old 02-14-2007, 10:33 PM

No shooting for me!! I'm too busy snowmobiling!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:34 PM

....and working, sitting on my rear end, and trying to stay warm.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:36 AM

Thanks fellers! Good to see some are getting out and shooting. I really hadn't lost faith in you. Here in Indianapolis we just had a storm move through and dump 14" on us along with ice. Indianapolis isn't designed to handle that. Main roads are in good shape but county roads have major drifting.....wont be getting to the range for a while now.

Wish I had a range in my back yard!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I sure wish we'd get a couple feet of snow.I personally like snow. Of course I don't have to drive in it and really don't have to shovel it unless I want to.. It is fun to go and play in. Although out in New York where they got 12 feet of the stuff, I am sure theyhave other words to describe snow...

It is snowing today, but I have the targets all set to put out and will shoot anyway. If I can't target practice in snow, how the heck can I hunt. I just have not decided what rifle to use today.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm planning to shoot tomorrow...Suppose to be 50 here in NC...

I'm doing some experimenting with my .54 flintlock...I have shot 80grs FF and a .020 patch for years lubed with SnoSeal and my cast balls....

A few weeks back I ordered some .018 pillow ticking patches, with no lube, also bought a yard of the RED pillow ticking from WalMart...And bought a pound of Goex FFF and a tin of Old Zip from Dixie...I lubed some patches with olive oil, SnoSeal, Old Zip and Bore Butter....I also bought a pound of FFF...I want to try each type lube and the FFF and see if I can tell a difference in my group size...Then want to try the RED pillow ticking and see if it does the same as the Ox-Yoke .018 patches....

Don't know if I'll get it all done because I have a few other guns that my buddy wants me to check the zero on....But at least I'll get started...
Old 02-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

Dave I agree we have very little snow hear iw western wi I would have been glad to absorb some of the burden or our New York brothers like 2 feet worth but no more the snow plow is still in the garage and has not been on yet. I hope I don't live to reget this words

Quick Reply: bored!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.