Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
How do you deal with call-shy birds? >

How do you deal with call-shy birds?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How do you deal with call-shy birds?

Old 01-09-2002, 08:43 PM

Default RE: How do you deal with call-shy birds?

Like most have said, I'd keep it light and not as often with some leaf scratching thrown in.

If there is a way to catch him the evening before getting up in his roost to pinpoint his location in the morning. I would come back in the morning and setup within 150 yards of him, softly tree yelp once or twice, do a fly down kackle with a wing if you have one, and then shut the hell up.

Lefty Llewellyn
Old 01-09-2002, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the information. Here's what I do. Depending on the spot I hunt depends on the tactic. But most of the time I hunt in the Flint Hills, which Bosstom described has a lot of open land, with deep ravines, and hills and agriculture. I usually will sit on the top of on the the biggest hills on the farm and glass the bottoms. Usually it doesn't take to long to find a bird, since I can look about 3/4 mile in each direction. Then I'll find out where they're going or staying, and stalk them. It's a fun way to do it on them call-shy toms. Most of the time I won't even call, so they won't even know what hit them. Last year I shot 2 toms this way. I had 3-D camo on and stalked them both for over 4 hours on my belly and knees. And I have just as much fun being in stealth mode after them turkeys as calling the in.
Visit My Hunting Page

Old 01-10-2002, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

One other point I'd like to make, especially here in the mountains, is to use another approach. I've talken some call shy birds by coming in below them, where most access is above or coming in above when the general access is on the same plane, and then like the guys said, just a few soft clucks and purrs and patience.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another method I will use after I have sat for a while is to walk and call as I am walking. like the others said, clucks & purrs. Stay away from the loud yelps that everyone else uses. Keep a steady pace. I have had more birds give one gobble because they think I am leaving and they want the hen to know they are there. Once you hear the gobble, get set up and have your gun ready.

Another tip when walking and calling, always look around and be close to a setup spot before you call. When you get that answer and they are close, you don't want to be caught with your pants down.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:06 AM

We have gobblers like that here kshunter. Maybe they have been spooked or shot at, but they will not come to the calls. They want the hen to come to them. I use the quiet approach. I try to set up on their travel route or a strutting zone where I heard them before. Then I might call just once to let them know there is a hen waiting. Then I just wait them out sorta like deer hunting.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:28 PM

i appriciate everyones advice on this topic. i believe this is probably my biggist obstacle. i hunt only on public land where there is alot of hunters calling agressively. i was able to take 2 toms last year by soft clucking and purring once every 20 minutes. i get more advice from this board of seasoned hunters, than i do from any hunting magazine. thank you all!