Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Slate call,Mouth call or Box call? >

Slate call,Mouth call or Box call?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Slate call,Mouth call or Box call?

Old 04-19-2004, 06:11 PM

Default Slate call,Mouth call or Box call?

i just bought a Primo's " Ol' Betsy" slate call from Gander Mountain. I can make very good purrs on it and very good cuts. I have a bunch of mouth calls and i just cant seem to get it down. i cant get a noise out of it. the call i have is a H.S. Strut Double D. Just wondering, what is every ones opinion on this one.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Slate call,Mouth call or Box call?

Just try different mouth calls from different companies and select the one that is the most comfortable and easiest to call from for you. Thats what i did and Ive gotten better at mouth calling.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:30 PM

Well as far as your mouth call...if you cant get a noise out of it...maybe you have it backwards....make sure the latex is facing towards the front. I started out by making a chuck-chuck-chuck sound or a turk-turk-turk sound. Basically just play with that thing in there all day...I do it when I am driving to school everymorning...on the way home...on the way to work...and so on. Practice makes perfect. Overall, I prefer my slate call over anything...box calls tend to be to dry sounding for me...but i also enjoy mouth calls
Old 04-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Fork Horn

I cant get those mouth calls down either squirrel. I stick with the slate call...its the easiest to use for me at least. You could try and find some books, videos, or tapes that could help you out. I do have a tape I listen to every now and then.

Outlaw
Old 04-20-2004, 09:00 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-20-2004, 09:12 AM

I primarily use mouth calls, with box call supplementation.

The mouth calls are so versatile.

Hal
Old 04-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

I have found that Primos mouth calls are really easy to use.I bought the three pack of different calls.Couldn't be happier.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have tons of calls and always go by the standby of a diaphragm call. I feel that I am most versitile with them and move less.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:49 PM

thank you everyone!!! for all of your input. i am going out for turkey this weekend and i am tuning the bow... i cant wait.....
Old 04-20-2004, 06:40 PM

dont give up on the mouth calls...they can be your BEST friend. keep working. took me a while to get a hang of it...remember practice everywhere until everyone around you is ANNOYED....but also...one of the posts talked about the size of the call....if it doesnt fit into the roof of your mouth...like me for example, i have a small mouth so i had to trim quite a bit off....probably a little over 1/16" all around. if you are going to trim...make sure you do a LITTLE at a time...you can always cut more off...but you cant put it back on. And last thing....bend the metal frame of the call SLIGHTLY to contour the roof of your mouth...not too much or the reeds will loose their tauntness. goodl uck this weekend! i want to see some pictures!

Quick Reply: Slate call,Mouth call or Box call?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.