Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Tips and tricks on call shy birds >

Tips and tricks on call shy birds

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tips and tricks on call shy birds

Old 03-06-2008, 11:20 AM

Default Tips and tricks on call shy birds

Ok all,
i was woundering about what tips or tricks you all use on call shy toms.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tips and tricks on call shy birds

.22-250

No, seriously, call shy Toms are the ones you have to pattern to be able to kill. You need to know where he likes to roost, where he likes to fly down, where he likes to strutt, and where he gets his water. Usually somewhere between his water and his strutt zone you can find an area he travels through.... and thats where you'll kill him.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Patterning is the key, I agree 100%. That's how I killed my biggest bird last year, figured out where he hung out everyday and waited for him to finish flirting with the ladies and come my way. Then he died.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

I agree that patterning is the most important. sometimes the trick is just giving them something they aren't used to hearing. Many times call shy birds have heard every loud cutting and yelping sequence imaginable, but they will come to soft clucks and purrs, mixed in with some scratching like a hen feeding.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:08 PM

I agree too. Basically if you can't call a bird in you have to use another tactic which is putting yourself where the bird is going on his own. This can be very hard on public ground because other hunters can change a birds patterns.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

get in tight and lighten up on the calling. just some soft purrs. if he gobbles don't always answer. remember curiousity killed the cat or turkey sometimes.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:29 PM

Again, like said before, call shy birds need to be patterned and you need to find the strutting zone. What I have done to kill 2 different call shy birds was get in there strutting zone, call with a moderate agressiveness then shut up and wait. Just let him know your there then wait.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is another idea.
They are not call shy, just educated a little. If you call from the same spot they figure it out. Change your setup location, like get below him, be further away than normal. Anything to give him something new. Do not call with the same calls and same sequence. mix it up and do not go loud. soft subtle calls along with scratching the leaves a little may be the ticket.

I think the best idea is to pattern him. But that can be boring. I would rather hunt another bird and have some action. I'll wait in my treestand all day for deer but not turkey.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Aloto scouting.I do a lot of long range scouting also,driving in early morning and late afternoon.I try to see what time there where and cut him off.Put him to bed and you know where to start in the morning.Sometimes you don't even need a call.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Thats all very good advise...

Quick Reply: Tips and tricks on call shy birds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.