Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

First Traditional Bow

Old 06-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default First Traditional Bow

As some of you may remember, I posted here a while back about choosing to go traditional and seeking some advice. Well, I ordered a bow this week. It is a Chek Mate Falcon Special #53@28" in Greybark. I ordered it from Chad (LBR) at recurves.com. I cannot speak highly enough of Chad and his desire to help. He spent over an hour on the phone with me answering all of my "rookie" questions. I shot a few recurves before ordering this bow, they had draw weights ranging from #40 to #65, I decided that #50 was at the upper edge of my comfort range. My draw length with a compound is 28.5" and, as I understand it, I will lose between 1"-2" by going to a trad. bow. I figured this one would be good because I will be drawing just under #50, plus Chad had it in stock. I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival and I will let you all know how it shoots. I have some XX78's in the 2117 weight thatI am going to start shootingwith, but I plan on ordering some wood arrows ASAP. As always, any comments/advice is greatly appreciated and welcome.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:40 PM

Default RE: First Traditional Bow

You couldn't have picked a better bow (or a nicer bloke to buy it from!).
2117 might be a bit stiff, though. I draw 27", and 2016's with 125gn points are very slightly stiff for me, but shooting styles differ. I used to draw 29" on wheelbows.

You'd probably be better off sticking to alu arrows 'till you have your form down pat. I bought some Platinum Plus shafts the other day, and I believe I've finally found an alu shaft I like as much as the old Autumn Orange range. They're friendly on the pocket too.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:50 PM
bigcountry

Thats awesome man. I hope you enjoy it. I am playing around with the idea of picking up a zipper takedown but I figured I got my hands full with my longbow.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:23 PM

Congrats!!