Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Considering traditional bow. >

Considering traditional bow.

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Considering traditional bow.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Considering traditional bow.

I am thinking about getting a long bow to start hunting with next season. I have been hunting with a compound for a while with success. Anything you could share with me about longbows would be appreciatied.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Considering traditional bow.

A longbow is a little less forgiving than a recurve due to design.Now that beingsaid there are a few logbow designs that have the recurve handle and they shoot real good. You may also have a tendacy to hit your forearm, or not be as steady at first due to the lightness.

Please do us all a favor, after you have been shooting it, and you think you have it tuned even if you bare shafted, put a broadhead or two on your arrows and see how they fly.if they donot fly to the same impact point as your field points, you don't have the right spine. (taking away release or brace)

Sorry I had to say the above, So what type/manuf bow you thinking about getting? What arrow do you want to shoot? (wood, aluminum, carbon) If you are used to shooting a 60 to 65 pound compound, don't get a 60 pound longbow, start off 40 to 45 pounds and then work up if you really need to. I started off with a 50 pound recurve whenI started and that was darn near to much for beginning.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ithink aluminum arrows would be fine, I guess.Whats pros an con of the differant types of arrows or is it just preference. What bowwould be a better bow saying I started with a 45 or 50 lbs pull. I got to go to work. I appreciate your help.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:09 PM

If you have access to a Pro Archery Shop, ask a salesperson what they have in stock and what they think from their sales experience is a good longbow. There are many good longbows that would serve your needs. Size of length, and esthetics are important becausemany manufactures make longbows with beautiful woods and in many different sizes. Do a little research and checkout the different brand choices.Demo thelongbow you are interested in. Use the same processes you used when you bought your first compound bow. If it looks goods, feels good, and shoots good; then that's a longbow you should consider buying. Good luck and great hunting.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, just trying to get a feel for what I am getting into along with trying to find out what people seem to like.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive found that starting with a recurve is the easiest way to get into trad shooting,I have just gottin back into Trad.
But...
Just remember if you are shooting off hand you need to ge the right fletching.......off a shelf dont worry....
right hand left heli
let hand right heli..
this way you wont stick the front of a featherinto you hand if one becomes lose...
I beleave there are a few Trad guys that have had this happen and I guess it really hurts.....My martin has a small shelf so I dont plan on this happening to me hopefully......
Old 01-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Odds are you'll eventually have a featherbite you, ranger.Given enough time and shooting, feather cutseventually happen to everyone.One of those character building attributes of traditional archery.

It might be a bit easier to get started with a recurve for most, bow huntert,but not always.I know folks that can't shoot recurves worth a hoot but are killer with a longbow, and vice versa. Whether to start with longbow or recurve is a personal decision. Get the type that most appeals to you. But try to shoot at least several of each before deciding.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for that Morell support Arther P.........Now I'll get bit for sure ...But it will be awhile,Doc wont let me shoot the bows yet[:@].....
Old 01-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ithink aluminum arrows would be fine, I guess.Whats pros an con of the differant types of arrows or is it just preference.
My advice is to absolutely 100% get carbon arrows! They will survive the punishment you are going to put them through so much better than aluminum and will wind up costing you less in the long run by avoiding the bends, dents and creases you'll get in them.
You are going to shoot ALOT most likely and at close range so you'll be smacking the heck out of them, then when once you get outside you'll be missing and slapping the target and hitting trees and rocksetc.
I can guarantee you that I would go through aseveral dozen aluminum shafts for 1 doz of the Gold Tip Traditional shafts I've been shooting.
They are super tough and I haven't broken one yet on anything.

Also, as cool as those dull natural looking barred feather look........for now go with the brightest feathers you can find. (Tru flight makes a series called "Bright stripes") At this point you want the most obnoxious easy to see combo you can find.
Trust me you will try dumb out of range shots for fun, you'll stump shoot, and you WILL MISS. Nothing more frustrating than actually LOSING arrows.
Make them easy to see. Your priority with arrows right now is durability and findability.

Whatever you decide on, longbow or recurve.......figure in your head what weight you think you can handle or by pulling at a bowshop, and then drop that weight by 5#.
If you start out overbowed it is going to push your learning curve WAY back. You're going to use muscles you didn't know were there and if you can't anchor and shoot comfortably you might as well just throw the arrows at the target.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

my advice ? be prepared for a challenge like no other ! you'll "feel" different the first day you take a true bow into the woods the challenge is second to none for me

as for bows ?

how much do you want to spend ? I'm a huge used bow buyer/seller/trader, or use to be anyway. Assuming you're a normal man, right handed, I would suggest bows like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crooked-Stic-3-piece-T-D-longbow-recurve_W0QQitemZ130186576568QQihZ003QQcategoryZ20 839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thats a good weight to start with. its a 3 piece TD hybrid longbow, which means it will shoot very nicely. its a not so well known bowyer, and I've shot these bows, they're very nice. For the price, it'll shoot right there with bows $300-400 more than it will bring.

get this bow, add a dozen 29-30" 5575 GT carbons, a gloveand go shooting. If its not your thing ? Sell it back on EBAY in 4 months and you'll get your money back.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=020865

there is a sweeeeeeet Blacktail. What you will get is a heavier in the hand mass weight recurve, maybe a bit easier to shoot, faster, heavier in the draw. Thats a top of the line bow there, probably $1100 new ? Its a work of art too. You can always sell this bow for $500 methinks

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACKTAIL-ELITE-VL-TAKEDOWN-RECURVE-60_W0QQitemZ260198909626QQihZ016QQcategoryZ20839QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thats a cream setup right there - another Blacktail - all the trimmings, a heavier weight you might not be able to handle starting out.

Why would you go longbow instead of recurve ? Carbons are very easy to shoot, aluminums are good, woods are classic but harder to be consistant with IMO, I love the old fiberglass shafts personally.

Quick Reply: Considering traditional bow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.