Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Small Talk

Old 06-14-2006, 07:23 PM

Default Small Talk

What happened to the small talk on here, everone must be out shooting.

Ihave a fewcool things to tell you allabout.

Firts, I saw a fawn on the way to work the other day. For most people it is not that big of a deal but I dont see many deer let alone fawns. Looked like it couldnt be more then a few days old.

Went out to camp last weekend and saw 3 deer on the road. I havent seen deer on that road in 4 years, I was happy. Maybe things are looking up in the snow belt.

I have a freind who moved up to AK last year (going to see himinaugust for 13 days, fishing trip, sorry). He told me the other day he got home from work and on his front porch were boxes from Cabelas stacked ashigh asthe door, he thought "what did I win something". Turns out another freind fromdown hereis going to go up there for a moose hunt this fall and has sentaround$3000worth of gear to myfreinds house, all new. He is hoping he will leave it for him to use. Is there anyway to get the meat home if you kill a moose in AK, or anywere else for that matter?

Hope all is cool and hope to see some moretalk around here. Keeps me from going nutz atwork.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:41 PM

Default RE: Small Talk

Well as for me , it is too hot to even shoot in the backyard, and I got a new lease just this week 200 acres in Georgia near my property, the owner is desperate to get rid of deer, the crop damage was tremendous.

He even got a landowner permit to shoot 300 deers, that is what the state Biologist think it will take to bring the heard down. The permit allows us to kill deer all year long.
So that means We will have to also take rifles, I already have several places to give the meat to for the homeless and the needy.

I had never seen a place like this, none of the farms around have any hunting clubs nor do the owners hunt, they are a baptist community and the owners have never allowed hunting for the past 15 years, I assume there is going to be a lot of cow spikes and deformed antler deers or maybe even a lot of does, don't know what to expect.
Every inch of open ground has 3 deer prints on it, why do people do that is beyond me.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:48 PM

That is cool ATH, sounds like you will be gutting alot of deer in the next little while. As long as the animal get used I am 100% cool with it, have fun and keep us posted, post some pics if you can.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:28 AM

I like small talk...
Congrats on the trip to AK (Hint of jealousy in voice) Guss!
Sounds like you'll have a very decent season Alex (Again, jealousy...)!
I just checked my property last night, and walked into a herd of two dozen deer, right where I intend to put a ground blind. There were seven bucks, and two lookers. Im pretty sure one of them is the one (4 inch drop tine - Pope & Young easy)I grunted in just before I killed my spike (first trad kill) last November.
All jealousy aside, sounds like you guys will have a great season. Congrats!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:40 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Been super busy here--shooting some tournaments (several out of state, spend the weekend there types) and making strings. Think I've made 50 or more strings in the past week--set up at Cloverdale and did all I could there, brought several orders home, got orders while I was away and more when I came back. Got an order for 20 I'm starting on now. Doing most of my shooting when I'm at a tournament--too much going on here to get away. On top of all this, doing yard chores and other summer-time things. Got to get out and do some scouting--season will be here before I know it.

Congrats on the AK trip Guss! Maybe you can make some contacts while you are there and get set up for moose, goat, bearor some of those huge mule deer up that way. Seeing a fawn this time of year? Shoot, we are still seeing newborns when bow season opens here (Oct. 1st). We always have a late rut though (late Dec/early Jan).

Alex, that is amazing! I never heard of a place like that, especially where there are farms! Seems that at least one fellow has seen the light and realizes that game management is essential--yeah, I'm jealous! Good luck!

Chad
Old 06-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fawns are always fun to see. Didn't see any this year so far. Usually I'll see a few playing dead when you walk up on them.

I have a trail camera set up om my land though at an area hot spot. Set it up about a week ago. I figure next weekend, I'll go and collect it and see what it has on it. I'm sure it'll have a few fawns with mom.

LBR, make sure you make room on your agenda for another string for me. My MOAB should be here today. I'm hoping Jim didn't send it with a signature receipt though or it may have to wait till Monday. [:@]
Old 06-16-2006, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: LBR

Been super busy here--shooting some tournaments (several out of state, spend the weekend there types) and making strings. Think I've made 50 or more strings in the past week--set up at Cloverdale and did all I could there, brought several orders home, got orders while I was away and more when I came back. Got an order for 20 I'm starting on now. Doing most of my shooting when I'm at a tournament--too much going on here to get away. On top of all this, doing yard chores and other summer-time things. Got to get out and do some scouting--season will be here before I know it.

Congrats on the AK trip Guss! Maybe you can make some contacts while you are there and get set up for moose, goat, bearor some of those huge mule deer up that way. Seeing a fawn this time of year? Shoot, we are still seeing newborns when bow season opens here (Oct. 1st). We always have a late rut though (late Dec/early Jan).

Alex, that is amazing! I never heard of a place like that, especially where there are farms! Seems that at least one fellow has seen the light and realizes that game management is essential--yeah, I'm jealous! Good luck!

Chad
Yeah LBR ,I have never heard or seen that before, the feller that turn me to the lease had told me all of this and I though there was something fishy, but when my son and I went up a couple of weeks ago, we were amazed to see herds of deers trashing through the property like rabbits.

The property has one 40 acre field that is the agricultural part of it the rest 160 acres are hard woods, the feller that plants there is going nuts loosing 50% of his crops just a month ago.

The owner is a baptist preacher and we hit it off to a good start with discussions about the bible and we are going to Israel in September, so I can give him a first hand tour.
He has now notified me he acquired permission for me to hunt the 2 adjacent farms on both sides, pushing the huntable acreage to 640 acres, plus my 450 acres 8 miles away that is a lot of land to hunt.
Am probably going up next weekend and take some deer under that landowners permit .

Yeap Lots of meat in my future
Old 06-18-2006, 05:26 AM

LBR, man fawns in Oct., if they did that up here they would never make the winter. They start to drop them the first part of June, but I have seen them in May.

Iam apart time Fly Fishing Guide and had 2 trips over the weekend. Same guys both nights, they had a blast andcaught lots of fish. First Nightat around 6pm had a bear cross the river about30 yards from one of the guys, he was alittleshaken up by it but I told him the was nothing to worry about.I looked to be around 200lbs, not a bad bear at all. They were amazed at how fast it ran once it hit the other side of the river. I think I may start putting in for a bear tagnext year, that way when I am 75 Iwill be able to get one.Also saw a turkey walking in the water,anyone ever see that before?

Back at the shooting and doing better then I thought I would. Fixed up an old 3Ddeer target and have been killing it a few timesjust about every day.