Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 NEW TO TRADITIONAL NEED HELP >

NEW TO TRADITIONAL NEED HELP

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

NEW TO TRADITIONAL NEED HELP

Old 08-10-2007, 09:41 PM

Default NEW TO TRADITIONAL NEED HELP

I've just purchased a Sequoia long bow #55 @ 28" and I've decided to go with the Easton AXIS ST arrows. My only delima is which broadhead is going to be the most efficient on whitetails? I have been a longtime bowhunter (20yrs) however, it has been with a compound bow. Over the years I've had great success with this set up but I've allways wanted to try traditional. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEW TO TRADITIONAL NEED HELP

2-blade and 3-blade cut-on-contact heads have pretty much been the standard for traditional hunters.And there's so many good ones out there it's hard to pick one.Some to look at are Zwickey,Magnus,Steelforce,Ace,Razorcaps,Wensel Woodsman's and don't forget about the old Bear Razorheads(one of my favorites).Lately I've been using Magnus Stinger 125gr.They're scary sharp,tune easily and fly great
Old 08-10-2007, 11:15 PM

Thank you sir, I was under the impression that the cut on cantact was the way to go. I've heard alot of good things about the magnus aswell as the steel force and the zwickey, so I guess I'll just buy and try. Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2007, 01:56 AM

Any one shot the woodsman BH. I like them and how they can come in screw on type 150 gr. head. Do they fly true, sharp, tune well?
Old 08-11-2007, 08:17 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BILLY BULLDOG

I've just purchased a Sequoia long bow #55 @ 28" and I've decided to go with the Easton AXIS ST arrows. My only delima is which broadhead is going to be the most efficient on whitetails? I have been a longtime bowhunter (20yrs) however, it has been with a compound bow. Over the years I've had great success with this set up but I've allways wanted to try traditional. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
For me, I would want to make that arrow wiegh a little more than just that and a 125gr head. I would want at least 600gr arrow combo. If you pick your spine right, you can add a 100gr brass insert plus broadhead.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:32 PM

That brings up another question that I have, roughly, how heavy should I be as far as total arrow weight? As of now I'm looking at approximately 400 grains. Thats if I go with a 100 grain broadhead. Now with that said, I normally shoot about 360grains finished product out of my Bowtech Allegiance VFT with out any issues. I realize that I'm comparing apples and oranges but it's all that I know at this point. I'm still stuck in the highspeed world, but I would like to keep my speed up as much as possible without compromising penetration. If that makes any sense.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:55 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BILLY BULLDOG

That brings up another question that I have, roughly, how heavy should I be as far as total arrow weight? As of now I'm looking at approximately 400 grains. Thats if I go with a 100 grain broadhead. Now with that said, I normally shoot about 360grains finished product out of my Bowtech Allegiance VFT with out any issues. I realize that I'm comparing apples and oranges but it's all that I know at this point. I'm still stuck in the highspeed world, but I would like to keep my speed up as much as possible without compromising penetration. If that makes any sense.
My friend you have to change your thinking in this world. You need penetration. You need momentum. You want at least 10gr per pound draw. Only way to get momentum is to increase wieght. YOu want about a 600 grain arrow for penetration out of that bow. Don't worry about speed, so much as worry that you can hit what your aiming at. Light arrows are loud. A good setup, you can get off two shots if you ahve too, cause a heavy combo can be dead quiet. I bet ya I can out penetrate you with my 50lb bow with my 590gr arrows.