Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 release question >

release question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

release question

Old 08-17-2004, 07:11 PM

Default release question

when i am at full draw and use back tension it seems i have to really force my back muscles together to get my release to fire.do i need to shorten my release length or lengthen it to get a smoother more surprise release.i shoot a little bitty goose so i can adj its length either way.was going to shorten it but thought i would get your feed back first
Old 08-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: release question

set the trigger to where it goes off faster.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:43 PM

I've tried two things... pushing the bow toward the target and pulling my release hand away from the target. The second thing I shorten my draw about 1/2" which works better in conjunction with what I stated earlier. Oh yeah, I have my release set pretty stiff, and I concentrate really hard on aiming during the cycle which gives me that "surprise" release. GOOD SHOOTING!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might want to shorten it up a smidge, but first consider this. Pulling the shoulder blades together forces many people to pull their bow arm inward also. While the string hand is pulling back, the bow hand winds up moving back with it. So the back tension is never transmitted to the release trigger.

What I recommend you try first, before adjusting your release length, trigger tension or anything else, is to concentrate on pushing your string hand elbow straight back while pushing your pin straight into the center of the target. Do that rather than trying to pull your shoulder blades together. That movement will isolate the muscles on your string side and allow them to move independently of the bow arm back muscles.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

What I recommend you try first, before adjusting your release length, trigger tension or anything else, is to concentrate on pushing your string hand elbow straight back while pushing your pin straight into the center of the target
That's great advise! That's is exactly how I concentrate when practicing form.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:29 AM

thanks guys im going to stiffen the trigger a bit and try to concentrate on pushing release elbow back instead of squezzing shoulder blades together and see what happens.