Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 High Country...inconsistent??? >

High Country...inconsistent???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

High Country...inconsistent???

Old 08-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default High Country...inconsistent???

My dad just bought a High Country Ultra Extreme with the hatchet cams. After getting setup at the pro shop, we went to shoot it at home. One group he is busting nocks, the next round he is all over the target. I pick it up and the same thing, one group is great the next is awful. Paper tuned very well, too. Don't know what is going on.....need help![:@]
Old 08-23-2004, 11:35 AM

Default RE: High Country...inconsistent???

sounds like the guys behind the bow
Old 08-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks....
Old 08-23-2004, 12:54 PM

My High Country does the same thing........after about 25 shots when my arm is tired and my form goes all to hell I start shooting all over the place......not the bows fault its the man behind it.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

do you have the original hatchet cams or the draw stop hatchet cams?
DS hatchets are easier to tune than the older ones.

If you are shooting a good hole thru paper from 6 feet i would have to agree that it is probably the shooter[8D]
Old 08-23-2004, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see you guys found my avatar from another site
Old 08-23-2004, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a hard time believing that it is the shooter. It happens when either one of us shoot it. Dad has been shooting bows for 30 plus years, 17 years for me. We are not new at this. I have never seen a bow do this before. It not fatigue. Happens on the second round of shooting. Draw weight is 60 lbs, 80% let off. Pretty easy to draw and hold.....Seriously, any ideas before I take it back to the proshop?
Old 08-23-2004, 04:32 PM

If not mechanical, sounds like problem might be in how the grip of the bow fits in comparison to what you and your father have been used to.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:04 PM

List every aspect of this bow. Axle to axle, brace height, type of cam/cams, amount of reflex/deflex and type of rest being used and whether it's an overdraw of any type, even if it's an inch.

Then list your set up, draw length, weight, length of arrow (nock and shaft only, don't include the tip), type of arrow (brand and size), type of fletch and tip weight. Also what sort of release are you using, and are you using a loop, rope, or off the string. And are you using a peep sight or not.

I take it you and you and your dad are the same size? It's pretty hard to shoot consistantly with someone elses bow.

Normally it is not an equipment issue. 99.9 percent of the time it is the archer, not the bow. That does not mean you couldn't make it better however. You are saying that you shoot the bow, then a few arrows later everything starts to fall a part. You quit, then pick up the bow a few days later and the same thing happens. You shoot 3 or 4 arrows and everything is fine, then the next 3 or 4 don't do worth a darn. And they are the same exact arrows each time.

If this is the case, I highly doubt it's a mechanical problem. Now if it were shooting really good then gradually started getting worse and stayed that way, I would suspect something came loose or stretched. Bows are not magically good one minute, then bad the next, and then good again later. It just doesn't work that way, most of the time.

You could however start checking the bow over for loose things, like the rest or something. Maybe your nocking point moved. Maybe the string stretched and the cam or cams are out of time and or your draw length changed. Normally when something like this happens though the impact point of you arrow will change as well, not just the group sizes. As a matter of fact, often time the groups still remain fairly good, but the impact points shift. However if you had a real loose or faulty rest it could be inconsistant. But it wouldn't get better over night again. See what I mean.

Maybe this bow is just harder to shoot. It doesn't have a very forgiving set up, or is possibly set up wrong to begin with. Just because you can shoot bullet holes thru paper once or twice doesn't mean anything. Or was it someone else that shot the bullet holes?

Don't get upset when we suggest that it's the archer and not the equipment. Because that is usually the case in these instances. That doesn't mean that you can't work on making the bow more forgiving. And don't be offended by this, 'cause it's not meant that way, but just because you have been doing something for a long time it doesn't mean you have been doing it right or the best way it can be done. And the best archer in the world could suddenly get some sort of target panic that could screw up thier consistancy. It's especially common when switching equipment or set ups.

List the above specs and we can try and get an over all picture of the set up and what problems might be inherent in it. It would still be pretty hard to say without seeing the bow, and or your dad shoot it.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 08-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

well first of all the Hatchet cam is not offered in 80%let off nor is the twin powers they are only offered in 65% let off

the peremiter X draw cam and the perfX cam is has a 80% let off but is a single cam system.

it could be grip,anchoring point inconsistancies.

If the cams are still in time and still shooting bullet holes thru paper you probably need to work on your form .

Quick Reply: High Country...inconsistent???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.