Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Paper tuning Question >

Paper tuning Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper tuning Question

Old 03-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Paper tuning Question

To whom it may concern, I have a question. How in the world did we oldies ever get our bows to tune when the grip was in the middle of the bow and the rest was 3" or so above center? And even now on most bows, is the rest mounting hole in the exact middle of the bow? You can tune for all these variances I would think, so long as it's repeatable.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

How in the world did we oldies ever get our bows to tune when the grip was in the middle of the bow and the rest was 3" or so above center?
Maybe that's why us "oldies" are so adamant about putting the arrow higher than the hole. I makes a bad situation even worse.

Ideally, the nock, arrow rest and grip should be on exactly the same line. That way the center of pressure on the grip would be exactly opposite the center of pressure on the string and everything would be in exactly the same line. In fact, that's the only way I can see getting nock travel that is perfectly straight and level. Problem is, nobody's figured out how to do that yet.

Yes, you can tune to get good accuracy and arrow flight with the arrow above the hole, but WHY would you want to? If anything, lower the arrow below the hole so it would be closer to the grip's center of pressure.

The closest I've seen to that is a guy shooting a Mongolian recurve bow with a thumb ring, arrow mounted on the offside of the grip and using the tip of his middle finger for a rest.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

How in the world did we oldies ever get our bows to tune when the grip was in the middle of the bow and the rest was 3" or so above center?
I think i remember i had to do something with tiller adjustment on those bows. Using a ruler to make little changes in de distance between the upper and lower limb, just above/under the riser.
Maybe it was build in.......
I can see still many mistakes being made on tiller adjustments on olympic recurve models. Unnessacery, unequal limb movement.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't get me rong Arthur,I agree with you to a point.The nock travel will be a little worse the higher above the grip you go.My point is you are already above the center of the bow so going an 1/8'- 1/4" more would not be that big of a deal to tune.As long as it is straight ,we should have no problem tuning it.

You hear a lot about straight and level nock travel nowadays but you don't see many stating where they are taking their measurement from.

Oh well.you have another guys opinion.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:03 AM

Thanks guys. I moved my rest down so that the arrow is level with the hole and then lowered my string loop a little more to level the arrow out. Within 3 shots I had a perfect bullet hole. Thanks again.