Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Paper Tuning Question >

Paper Tuning Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper Tuning Question

Old 10-02-2003, 06:41 AM

Default Paper Tuning Question

I went to the paper tuning section of this website and it showed the different tears when your bow is out of tune. What is the hole suppose to look like when the bow is perfectly tuned? Not a perfectly round hole I assume. I keep making adjustments, but cannot get it perfect. Also, how important is it that it is exact?
My local proshop does not put much emphasis on it if everything is squared up.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Paper Tuning Question

For me, as a hunter using a behind the nock release point and a drop away rest, not a target archer, I tune my bow to get a perfect bullet hole from 5 feet away from paper. As long as my arrows spin well, I believe this gives me the best potential accuracy with fixed, mechanical or field tips out to the distances I shoot.

I had a pro-shop like you mentioned once. Guy put the rest on, took it out to shoot at 20 yards, bullet hole, said it was tuned. I walked up to the paper, shot, TERRIBLE tear. He looks at me and said " you can' t shoot paper that close. You gotta give the arrow time to settle down" . This is the guy doing the majority of tune work for everyone in town.

I went home, tuned my bow myself and have never looked back. Just cause they own a shop and act like they know it all, doesn' t mean they do.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tune my bow to get a perfect bullet hole from 5 feet away from paper.
Rangeball, I agree with you 100% on that. What you are checking is how the arrow is coming off the bow before it is able to correct itself in flight. There are a lot of people who are non-believers in paper tuning out there, but I still do it and believe in it. But, one thing that I will say is that I paper tune to the arrow that I am going to use. So when I using my hunting setup, I paper tune with broadheads.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some people live by paper tuning. Some completely ignore it. I' m one of the ones who ignores it. It' s nothing more than a basic method to tell you how the arrow is coming off the bow.

The theory is that if the arrow is coming off the bow perfectly straight and leaving a nice round hole with easily defined fletching tears, then the bow is perfectly tuned. In a way, it IS... Perfectly tuned to shoot perfect holes in a sheet of paper. The bow is not necessarily perfectly tuned to shoot with it' s best accuracy.

On the rare ocassion I actually do shoot through a piece of paper, I don' t waste any time trying for the ' perfect' tear (and a waste of time is exactly what going after that perfect tear is). I get it close and then move straight on to fine tuning, making very small adjustments in centershot and nock/rest height, until my groups are as small as I am capable of shooting at the furthest distances I can shoot well, and broadheads are grouping somewhat close to field points. Not necessarily grouping perfectly WITH my field points, but not a foot away either.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur, for me it took exactly 2 shots to get a perfect hole after my last set up change. It would' ve been one shot, but I had the cock feather down, and got rest contact on my drop away. Reloaded, paying attention, release, perfect hole.

I' m too cheap to shoot groups. My arrows are numbered, and if I do my part, each of my arrows will shoot to the same point of impact.

To each his own, but this works very very well for this drop away launched carbon flinging release using hunter.

I should mention that this is another thing I chalk up to quality arrows. The ACCs are so well matched, they allow this to happen, as I don' t have to compensate for arrow flaws or paradox to get he best common ground. If one shoots good, the others do as well.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I should mention that this is another thing I chalk up to quality arrows. The ACCs are so well matched, they allow this to happen, as I don' t have to compensate for arrow flaws or paradox to get he best common ground. If one shoots good, the others do as well.
Same with XX75' s or better.

2 shots?? Man, now THAT' S what I call building confidence with repeatability. [&:]

Personally, I like seeing those symetrical 3" 4-arrow groups at 60 yards.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey now, 2 shots to get it, several more to verify it wasn' t a fluke... It wasn' t

I' d shoot for groups at longer ranges. If only I had a place to practice at those distances... Would be a hoot. I' m sure I could find a place, but If only I had the time to find a place...
Old 10-02-2003, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally, I like seeing those symetrical 3" 4-arrow groups at 60 yards.
That' s true in your case Art, and what you do sure works for you. But you have to admit that not everyone has that type of ability to begin with, well tuned bow or not.

Any tuning method used though will be in a direct corelation of the individuals ability to shoot.

In my own case, I consider a 2-2 1/2 inch group with broadheads to be about my best. Not being able to shoot at the same target with broadheads at 30 yards keeps me happy.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am like Art I only use the paper as a starting point in the tuning process.

My main concern is with group tuning and creep tuning (dual cam bow).
Old 10-02-2003, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any tuning method used though will be in a direct corelation of the individuals ability to shoot.
ABSOLUTELY! And there are probably just as many guys that are incapable of shooting a ' bullet hole' in a sheet of paper as there are that can' t shoot 3" groups at 60 yards.

And it' s due mostly to the fact that they paid more attention to the IBO ratings than they did to their bow' s design when they chose it. The things that make a bow fast make it hard to shoot well. The things that make a bow easy to shoot well also cut arrow speed. Everything is simply a matter of tradeoffs. That' s just plain fact, no matter how many knotheads try to say otherwise.

Quick Reply: Paper Tuning Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.