Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Shot the Outback today. >

Shot the Outback today.

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shot the Outback today.

Old 02-14-2004, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shot the Outback today.

I shot the Outback today. I was blown away by how silent and vibration free this bow is. I heard and felt nothing. I mean nothing!!! The draw was very smooth and I'm sure that I could easily draw more weight with this bow. I didn't chrono it but speed wise it seemed similar to my FX. With a stab it was top heavy, without a stab it balanced real nice. The valley was narrow but with that smooth a draw I didn't see it as a problem at 80% letoff. Could be a problem at 65%.

2 negatives 1. The mass weight. Not that the bow was too heavy but that it is heavy up front. It didn't want to hold for me. At 20 yards it was a half inch group vertically and a 3 inch group horizontally, I'm not saying I can't get used to it but it is not the feel that I like. 2. It's not that compact. The riser is huge and while the ATA is short the bow takes up a lot of space. My FX just about fits inside of the Outback. I'm going to go back and shoot the bows side by side. But I left wishing that they had made an FX with that smooth a draw, that quiet and shock free, basically a shorter version of the Classic.

And I'm not knocking this bow, I doubt that you can get much better in terms of parallel limb type bows, but does everyone prefer that kind of a bow? Maybe I'm just not used to it.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot the Outback today.

The parallel limbs design is my choice. I like the extremely low recoil and vibration resulting from this design. They are some very quiet bows as well. Some people don't care for the looks of parallel limbs but, they sure look fine to me.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:50 PM

I looked at one today and while eyeballing the laminated portion of the grip which is supposed to be centerline and the string, I noticed that the riser is not cut very far past center. Anyone else notice this?? Also on the Mustang, the roller guard doesn't have much preload on the cables at rest. Has anyone shot the Mustang, comments??????
Old 02-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I definitely have gotten used to and prefer the parallel limb bows. They hold/feel like a much longer bow. Very stable. Whenever I pick up a Hoyt or PSE , or Martin that uses a more traditional riser and limb angle it feels all goofy to me. All what you get used to I guess.

I actually prefer the heavy mass weight of the OB. Makes it even steadier, especially for a 31" bow. I think if it weighed in around the same as an MQ32/SQ2 it wouldn't feel nearly as nice at the shot. The HP cam is storing and putting out alot more energy than the SL cams do.