Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Got an Outback today! >

Got an Outback today!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Got an Outback today!

Old 03-09-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Got an Outback today!

I finally decided to get the Outback and get rid of my LX. The LX is a great bow but I had one BIG issue I couldn't get past. The brace height of 6 5/8" is just to short when hunting. My sleeve on my coveralls was a Murphy waiting to happen. The brace on my LX was 6 3/8" and Mathews wasn't much help in getting it right. They said I could send it to them but I never did. I bought a Winners choice string and cable and it was still 6 3/8". I could have twisted the cable and string and got it right but it would have taken a lot of twists. Well back to the Outback. I couldn't get a 60 lb. so I went for the 70 lb. It maxed out at 74 lbs. with the limbs bottomed out. I usually shoot with the limbs bottomed out as I have always felt the bow performed better. What do you guys thing as I had to take 3 turns off and it is at 64 lbs. now. Seems to shoot well and it is fast and quiet. I put a Muzzy zero effect, Spott-Hogg real deal and my Stealth 4" stablizer on it and she is sweet so far. I have only shot a bow over 70 once. It was a PSE laser magumn at 80 lbs. and it almost tore my sholder off. I shot the Outback at 74 lbs. about 50 times and although it was to much, I could probably get used to it. The string and cable look a lot better than the ones that came on my LX. They stretched real bad so I replaced them with the Winner's choice. Does anyone know if these are better or the same as last years. Thanks, Don
Old 03-09-2004, 08:44 PM
tm
Fork Horn

Default RE: Got an Outback today!

With the new limb cups you don't lose as much by backing the limbs off. Marginal loss and if it shoots fine not something I'd worry about.
As far as the string & cable, I've shot mine for awhile & haven't noticed any creep. Good Luck.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:06 AM

Congrats on the new bow. My outback is on back order and will be a couple more weeks. First bow I ever ordered new and it is killing me waiting on it. Oh well, tell me how you like it after you shoot it awhile.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:30 PM

Please Please Can some help me
I missed placed my 2004 manual from Mathews. I've been to Mathews website but they only have 2002 and 2003. Can someone help me get a copy. [&o]
Old 03-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don, I assume you bought the bow primarily for hunting?

If so, don't get hung up on a scale number. Shoot the bow at the limb bolt adjustment that feels the most comfortable to you, which you could draw while standing on your head after sitting high in a tree in the cold for several hours...
Old 03-20-2004, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to agree with Rangeball on this ,shoot at the most comfortable weight you can handle that you can shoot all day with.When hunting season come's around I crank it up to the max and sight it in . As for the string's I think they have dramatically changed in the last couple of year's .I would do all my measuring on my bow before I start shooting too much .Take tiller ,brace and axle to axle measurement's mark your cam's and document all these measurement's ,this will give a reference point to fall back on when you want to check for string stretch .
Good luck with your new bow I'm sure the Outback is a fabulous bow .

P.S. your set-up sound's very similar to mine

BowTech Patriot dually 2004
Stealth 8" Stabilizer
Spott Hogg Real Deal
Muzzy Zero Effect

nubo

nubo
Old 03-20-2004, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

I get to talk to archers from all over and have sold quite a few Stealth hunter 6 inch stabilizers to guys shootng the "Outback",so far nobody has complained about the strings creeping alot.....this could change with the onset of hotter weather!
I put Tiger Twist strings and cables on both my Q2XL`s with exellent results and would highly recomend them, if you want a string and cable that wont creep much!
www.stealtharchery.com