Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hunting arrows

Old 02-14-2004, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting arrows

What weight arrow are you using for hunting? I'm thinking about loosing some arrow weight this year, last year I hunted with 483gr. Easton Evolutions.I was thinking I might switch to A/C/C, so I could keep my FOC decent and still be around 420. I don't want to go to light ( less than 400). What are your thoughts.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:57 PM

Default RE: Hunting arrows

I shoot right around 407. Its worked real good for me. Im still shootin around 63 lbs. KE. The A/C/Cs are great arrows. I personally didnt like the evolutions, mostly cause they were a little to heavy for me. So id say go with the A/C/Cs. Just my opinion though, last decision is yours.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gromage ! I need the answer to this question as well ,I have a 1/2 dz of the carbon Express Terminator Hunters 6075 and they are real heavy but I was considering using these arrow's for moose this season .I would like to use a lighter arrow for deer and turkey's but I'm not sure yet what .I'll watch this post for answer's but let me know which way you go .

nubo
Old 02-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been doing some testing with arrow weights on my 04 Black Knight.
While it is only a 60lb model and I have a 28" draw.

I have found that using a light arrow 314gr will give me blistering speed 312fps it only gives me 68lb KE.

On the other hand a 400gr arrow drops the speed down to 280fps but yeilds 70 lbs of KE.

I did try heavier arrows but after 400gr's it got to the point of loosing KE

The bow is more efficant with a 400 gr arrow.

So I will be using 400gr this year
Old 02-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Ausie ,
Thanks for the info, I may try some down around 400, the numbers you gave are good to know, I'm going to be shooting a 70lb Pat DC w/ 29" draw. I kinda figure there must be a pretty fine line as far as weight goes where its really not worth changing much. I'll have to shoot it through a chrono with some diff weights and see how my results compare.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

I'm currently shooting Terminators that are dipped and crested, 3 four inch vanes and a 125 grain tip. Weight is 495. Had a complete pass through this season so I'll stick with these. A blood trail from two holes is easier to follow than from one hole. Besides, the weight of the arrow helps keep the shot quiet and keeps the bow shock down to a minimum.

Sound travels at over a 1000 feet per second so unless your arrow is traveling faster than the speed of sound, concern yourself with making the bow quiet and not picking up another few feet per second.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:57 PM

I have used 350 grain arrows for 2 years at 300 fps ! They shoot good and blow through deer !

Decided to test a heavier arrow this coming year and set up my new bow with a 440 grain arrow ! I am shooting about 274 fps with them ! What I have found is my bow is quieter and has less vibration !!

Surprisingly.........looking a a ballastic's calculator ...........the heavier arrows should only shoot an inch lower at 20 yrds ! As distance increases the heavier arrows still have more drop........but do start evening the margin at farther distances !

Aslo ........while both start off with similar KE........as distance increases the light arrows start losing more energy......the heavier arrows maintain their KE better !

As far as target shooting.......so far.........I can't visibly see a big difference ! The arrows at 274 are still getting there pretty quick !!
Old 02-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

shooting a 261 grain arrow shooting 347 FPS getting 70 Foot pounds of KE and wisper quiet! using the same pin for 10 to 40 yards.

Yes I shoot a HCA TSS, The best hunting bow ever made!
Old 02-15-2004, 04:30 PM

BPS,

I'd like to know what your KE is at 20, 30, and 40 yards with that light of an arrow.

Have you conducted any tests?
Old 02-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like I said I am uaing the same pin at 40 as I am at 10 so the drop rate is minimal and I figure so is the speed and Energy loss.

My buddy got a large bull elk at 50 yards with a complete and FAST passthru using the same setup as mine.

I am sure the energy loss is less than a 400 grain arrow out at 40 yards and I know the trajectory and speed loss is more on heavier arrows.

Quick Reply: Hunting arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.