Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Well, I took the plunge....Ordered a >

Well, I took the plunge....Ordered a

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Well, I took the plunge....Ordered a

Old 01-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Well, I took the plunge....Ordered a

LIBERTY

30 inch 70#

It should be in in a week and a half or so. Now the big decisions...what rest, what arrows, what sight to use, etc.. I am sort of thinking either a WB or the Muzzy ZE rest and I am partial to the Sightmaster sight. I bought my current bow ( a HCA Safari) about 12 to 14 years ago and other than change the string and cables I have never tinkered with it's original setup. It just worked and worked well so there was no need to tinker. It is set up with a Star Hunter rest, 3 inch overdraw, sightmaster sight and shoots 27 3/4in. 2314's. I would like to set the Liberty up with just as reliable components. I am open to suggestions on how I should set it up. Lets hear them!!!
Old 01-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Well, I took the plunge....Ordered a

bowhunter09, you are going to love this bow. I have one in a 28" 70lb model and everyone I shoot with cannot believe how smooth it is. I am extremely impressed with the performance with this bow. The shootability of this bow is incredible. It is definetly not the typical speed demon that you expect from the bowtech line-up but it is a great addition to the bowtech line-up. Do not get me wrong, the liberty is still pretty quick but it is EXTREMELY smooth. Enjoy the new bow.[8D]
Old 01-06-2004, 04:45 PM

09, you will be very pleased, I help test a Liberty a couple of weeks back and it is supper smooth, you won't believe how easy it pulls.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the new purchase! I have the exact same animal 30"/70#. Awesome shooting bow.
As far as accessories? HMmmmm. Simple and reliable?
Rests:
Zero effect is a great hunting rest........not so great for these short VFT style bows! They demand that you make the string/cable cross above the slide and that's a bad thing. Too much angle off the idler.
Whisker Bisquit just never did anything for me although many guys swear by them.
Avoid the overdraw.......don't need it.
I am using a Trophy Taker "Shakey Hunter" drop away served into the cable and its very solid and nice reliable pick up.
If you want a prong rest, I'd recommend a good ol' GKF 'Premier" or an "Infiniti".
Sights:
You like the sightmaster? You'll lose me there cause I pretty much always disliked that sight........sorry. If you do like it maybe a new version? or an HHA slider style?
Regular pin sight I'd personally look at Spot-Hogg or Copper John. Although Trophy Taker has a really nice looking sight coming out that has a unique pin configuration. Knowing how solid their rests are I imagine it'll be solid. Looks very much like the Spot-Hogg mounting system and micro adjustments. If so its solid.

Stabilizer: I use Stealth stabilizers. My Liberty when set-up for hunting will wear a 6" Stealth Hunter. I feel they are the best performance wise, you just need to find the one that fits your tastes in bow balance. Sorbo-Tek I am hearing is very good as well. Stabilizers have come a long long way over the years and there are a bunch of good ones.

Arrows: You can get the weight of your reliable 2314's in an all carbon or carbon/ aluminum design that will allow you to shoot a longer more stable arrow that will take a whole lot more abuse than your aluminums. Nothing wrong with aluminum that's for sure, personally I just think carbon is the better buy from a durability standpoint, and many have very good tolerances.
I am probably going to settle on the new Easton "Axis" shafts for mine fletched up with some 4" feathers.......They are getting some very good reviews, and "JeffB" really is impressed with them......all I need to hear.

Keep the Vibrablock silencers near the tapered portion of the limb at the limb forks and save your money on Limbsavers/Leeches. I wasted $ getting them to see just how quiet I could make this bow. Not neccessary, the bow simply didn't need them.

Good luck with the bow keep us posted!
Old 01-06-2004, 05:08 PM

Hello!

I am new to the forums, but just wanted to say that after reading many of these posts, I went to the local shop and shot some different hoyt's and the liberty, justice, and patriot. I already own a bowtech stalker, so I was partial to the bowtechs. Well, to make a long story short, I ordered a liberty in 29"/60lbs. I thought it was better balanced than the justice, which wanted to roll back in my hand when I shot it. The patriot was nice, but it just didn't "speak to me" like the liberty.

Can't Wait!!
Old 01-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Michiganiac,
Welcome aboard!........I know what you mean about the Liberty "Speaking" to you.
It actually "Spoke" to me on paper and I ordered mine sight unseen! When it came in I was very happy to find that it was even better than I had hoped.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Matt,

thanks for the tips. I also bought mine sight unseen because the shop does not yet have any '04's. I am basing my decision on the specs of the bow and all the favorable comments I have read on these forums. As you can tell, I don't run out any buy a new bow every year so I am putting a lot a value in the comments I have read here. I was also considering trying the Axis arrows. I thought I might do that 4 year subscription deal and get the free dozen. I really have liked the Sightmaster. The one pin is easy to concentrate on when it counts and with my other bow in a hunting situation I just usually set it at my 20yd mark and don't try to move it around at shot time. I was not planing to use an overdraw but I also don't want to shoot 31 in. arrows. I was thinking with the mounting point for the WB or the MZE it would save me a couple of inches of arrow length. Will the MZE not work on this bow at all? I plan to shoot this bow in the 65 to 70lb range with arrows tipped with a Thunderhead 100gr.. If I don't go with the Axis arrows I might spring for some ACC's.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bowhuntr,
The ZE MIGHT work.......it relies on slide travel for it's entire function and the Liberty has the SHORTEST slide travel I've seen on any bow due to the small distance the limb tips travel. Slide travel on the Liberty is under 1" and that's not enough to run the Zero Effect effectively.......crossing the string/cable above the slide will give you 3/8" more travel which might still not be quite enough travel plus it puts the string at a wicked angle to the idler and could concievably cause it to jump track......that would be bad.[:-]

Don't worry about your arrow length........I shoot the TT rest at 30" draw and my arrows are 28.75" from nock groove to insert and I still have room to the launcher. No need for 31" long arrows. Most any conventional rest that sits near the back edge of the shelf should allow around a 29" shaft, which is a nice stable length.
You need to remove all traces of the "Overdraw Mentality" you don't need short arrows to gain speed anymore. Too many quality arrows at all sorts of weights in your correct spine that you don't ever need to consider an overdraw again.

If you like that Sightmaster style sight check out the HHA Optimizer Lite sights........same principle but less bulky and different aperture options. You might like them.