Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Took the plunge-new bow. >

Took the plunge-new bow.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Took the plunge-new bow.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Took the plunge-new bow.

Hi folks!I found a good deal on a new/leftover Bowtech General.Years back I shot an Oneida SE 600 but It's been quite a while since I followed anything much as regards compounds/accessories.I've been a longbow man the last 20 yrs.I can use some advice as far as rests,sights,etc goes and whatever else is needed.I plan to set the bow at 6olbs (has 60-70 wt range) at least to start out.I'll be using carbon arrows with Magnus 125gr screw in heads.I'd like to keep things like the rest,sights simple.Some items like a "string stop" I've no idea what they're about.I will go to a good pro shop to get it setup but I'd appreciate any advice beforehand so I'm not completely at the mercy of the shop sales dude.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Took the plunge-new bow.

Keeping things simple and economicalas far as a rest- whisker biscuit

Everything else is a matter of personal preference because of comparable cost, I use an illuminated Sword 4 pin with.019 pins. I cut the fibers to all but my 20 yd pin, they were just too bright in low light conditions with no no background light around the target.

My rest is a G5 expert, love it. I had a Trophy Ridge Vertical Drop, didn't care for it- the rest slid on plastic tubes that would tend to stick at the bottom not allowing the rest to drop thewhole waybut still was enough to not affect arrow flight. I used to use a whisker biscuit but have since switched todrop aways b/c they are quieter and theydo not reduce arrow speed. The nice thing about a whisker is you can nock an arrow and not worry about it coming off the rest as I do with a drop away. They makestalk huntinga little easier.

As far as the string stop... what comes with the General is all you need. The string stop deadens the sound of the string's "twang" and vibration.

And Broadheads- I have used mechanicals in the past resulting in more issues than benefits. Now I use 100 gr. G5 Strikers- Extremely sharp, they fly perfect and are rugged in design and cut on contact through ground blind mesh unlike the mechanicals which tear through resulting in deflection.

Congrats on buying a Bowtech. I have a Bowtech Admiral and absolutely love it, not a bad thing to say about it. I wish you success with your new bow.