HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Well, I took the plunge....Ordered a
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 04:54 PM
Matt / PA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Well, I took the plunge....Ordered a

Congrats on the new purchase! I have the exact same animal 30"/70#. Awesome shooting bow.
As far as accessories? HMmmmm. Simple and reliable?
Rests:
Zero effect is a great hunting rest........not so great for these short VFT style bows! They demand that you make the string/cable cross above the slide and that's a bad thing. Too much angle off the idler.
Whisker Bisquit just never did anything for me although many guys swear by them.
Avoid the overdraw.......don't need it.
I am using a Trophy Taker "Shakey Hunter" drop away served into the cable and its very solid and nice reliable pick up.
If you want a prong rest, I'd recommend a good ol' GKF 'Premier" or an "Infiniti".
Sights:
You like the sightmaster? You'll lose me there cause I pretty much always disliked that sight........sorry. If you do like it maybe a new version? or an HHA slider style?
Regular pin sight I'd personally look at Spot-Hogg or Copper John. Although Trophy Taker has a really nice looking sight coming out that has a unique pin configuration. Knowing how solid their rests are I imagine it'll be solid. Looks very much like the Spot-Hogg mounting system and micro adjustments. If so its solid.

Stabilizer: I use Stealth stabilizers. My Liberty when set-up for hunting will wear a 6" Stealth Hunter. I feel they are the best performance wise, you just need to find the one that fits your tastes in bow balance. Sorbo-Tek I am hearing is very good as well. Stabilizers have come a long long way over the years and there are a bunch of good ones.

Arrows: You can get the weight of your reliable 2314's in an all carbon or carbon/ aluminum design that will allow you to shoot a longer more stable arrow that will take a whole lot more abuse than your aluminums. Nothing wrong with aluminum that's for sure, personally I just think carbon is the better buy from a durability standpoint, and many have very good tolerances.
I am probably going to settle on the new Easton "Axis" shafts for mine fletched up with some 4" feathers.......They are getting some very good reviews, and "JeffB" really is impressed with them......all I need to hear.

Keep the Vibrablock silencers near the tapered portion of the limb at the limb forks and save your money on Limbsavers/Leeches. I wasted $ getting them to see just how quiet I could make this bow. Not neccessary, the bow simply didn't need them.

Good luck with the bow keep us posted!