Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 I think I'm going to take the plunge.... >

I think I'm going to take the plunge....

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

I think I'm going to take the plunge....

Old 11-08-2005, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I think I'm going to take the plunge....

and establish some small food plots at my camp next year, I have done some food plot stuff, but this will be a bit different. Our camp land is all forested so we will have to clearcut some areas. I have 2 locals picked out that are thinly wooded with mostly pole-sized red maple (not real big - .25-.5 ac. each). I figure we can cut the trees for firewood. Then clear the gorund with dozer and expose the soil, apply lime /fert and then seed. One question: What to do with the stumps? My first idea was to pile and burn, then thought about just piling aor even trying to bury them. I then thought about just leaving them where they are and planting around them. Any suggestions/insight??

Never really thought too seriously about plots there because of the work and cost, but as this year has progressed, it just seems that we need a good, reliable food source to hold deer and for nutritional considerations, etc.
As the project starts I will try to keep events posted here (costs, results, etc.) for people's reference. FYI - as of right now, I will be planting basically straight clover (ladino and some red, maybe some alsike) and using either Italian rye (a biennial) and possibly a bit of some other "stuff" (chicory, etc.) and/or winter rye for a cover crop
Old 11-08-2005, 06:26 AM

Default RE: I think I'm going to take the plunge....

Definitely bulldoze those stumps! They wiil be a real pain in the arse later if you don't! If you want to create some habititat for other animals such as grouse, rabbits, and the like just pile them up and let them rot. Or, you could take it a step further and line them up along the edge of your plot to control the direction the deer will travel when entering your food plot. In essence kind of making a brush fence with them. Good Luck!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Think about prevailing wind direstion, where you will place stands, then doze the stumps and pile them to force travel by the stands. Don't forget to plan entry and exits paths.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

A dozier might work, but a excavator will work circles around a dozier in getting strumps out of the ground. Higher price per hour, but worth it in the long run.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

doughboysigep

Nice to see you posting here again.

Here's an idea - when you are clearing - clear 2X the land you want to plant. and plant your plot in one corner - or 1/2 of the cleared area and let the edges or 1/2 plot grow back as normal - and fertilize. The Natural cleared edge will really help your deer use the plot in the daylight hours (transition to feeding).

You can pile the stumps on the edge - they make a great small game sanctuary - they can be kind of ugly for a couple years though - so set them away from your favorite view.

Lastly - I like a Year round plot - like clover in your situation. A consistant spring/summer/fall plot really gets the Does into the habit of eating in the same area - every day. This establishes the pattern that the mature Bucks in your area will come to know very well, and eventually they become somewhat predictable as a result - especailly in October and November in our area. Don't get sold on a "candy" plot - unless you have 1200 acres of lightly property.

You can add these "fall" plots later on as your program comes around- but get the foundation laid out with clover (or alfalfa if you yave the Ph).

Let us know your concerns - I know we'd be happy to help.

FH