Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Paper Tune: Left Tear >

Paper Tune: Left Tear

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper Tune: Left Tear

Old 11-04-2003, 07:07 PM

Default Paper Tune: Left Tear

Could someone please explain how to correct a left tear in paper tuning? Some tuning guides I' ve seen recommend moving the arrow rest or centershot to the right or towards the bow, while others recommend moving the rest to the left. Which is it? To me, if the arrow is traveling knock left, then it must be leaving the bow pointing slightly to the right. If this is the case shouldn' t the fix be to move the arrow rest to the left or away from the bow? (This is assuming a right handed archer)

Does the direction you move your rest depend on whether you shoot fingers or a mechanical release?

I am currently shooting a Mathews Q2 with a shoot thru prong rest (Nap Quicktune 1000). I shoot 70 lbs, 29" draw, a release, and use easton super slams 2315s. I have always noticed significantly more wear on my right prong silencer than my left, even when I have achieved perfect bullet holes.

How should I fix my left tear?
Old 11-04-2003, 09:14 PM

Default RE: Paper Tune: Left Tear

Sorry but, as a PRO, I cannot give an answer to this type of question. There are too many variables that could influence the answer.

I had a customer in the store today who came in to paper tune his bow. After leaving him alone for about 15 minutes, he came to me to ask how he could correct a hard tear. I told him that I couldn' t/wouldn' t be able to tell him how to correct the problem; that I would have to check out his entire bow and arrows before I could make any judgement calls. He agreed to allow me to check out his bow.

First, he had tremendous cam lean; which I fixed. Next, he had a very bad timing issue; which I fixed. Then he had both nock position and centershot major errors; both of which were corrected. Finally, his carbon arrows (two years old) were trash; I sold him some good arrows. After about an hour, his bow was shooting great.

So, you see, your question is a straight-forward question with multiple solutions. Without examining the equipment thoroughly, anyone is just making a guess which could lead you astray very easily. Another scenario is that you could be given information that will lead to a solution that could create other problems.

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:13 PM

Len,

I understand what you are saying. I just would like to know which way to move my rest to correct a knock left tear. Let' s just assume everything else is fine and that the centershot position is the problem. The easton tuning guide recommends that for a release shooter the arrow rest should be moved to the right or towards the riser to correct a knock left tear. I have seen other tuning guides which suggest the opposite. Which is it? It seems to me that a knock left tear means that the arrow was pointing to the right when leaving the bow, which to me would suggest moving the rest to the left to straighten out the arrow flight. Please explain.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

yooper, I don' t think you' ll get an answer to your question. Like Len said, there are too many variables that could effect the tear. If you don' t want to take your bow in or check all the variables out yourself, then I would just experiment with moving the rest, if that is the only thing that you want to do. But, you may find that you cannot get a perfect tear with just moving the rest. You may have to change something else.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

It seems to me that a knock left tear means that the arrow was pointing to the right when leaving the bow,
I' m no one to give advice on this but it seems to me the arrow was pointing to the left upon release and tried to correct itself in flight to hit where you were aiming if you follow what I' m trying to say. But I could be wrong.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:37 PM

I wouldn' t know much on this. But with your given circumstance, I would do what the Easton guide said to do. At least it would give you a good start.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:39 PM
nub

For starters, Mathews states centershot is 13/16ths of an inch to center of shaft from risor. What is yours? Then follow along with Eastons guide to trouble shoot your tears. If you still have problems, explain and some of us will try and help. Just how bad was your tear?
Old 11-06-2003, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.archery.net/articles/index.shtml
Old 11-10-2003, 06:20 PM

move it one way in very small increments. If that doesnt work then move it back to where it was to begin with and move in very small increments the opposite way.

Brian
Old 11-12-2003, 02:19 PM

I was having the same problems. Turns out it was simply my grip on the bow. Had the folks at the pro-shop show me the *correct* form, and BAM, all fixed. Just FYI, I was getting about 6" of left tear, shooting from 5 feet away. It was all from the torque on the bow.