Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Cannot tune out Nock Left Tear >

Cannot tune out Nock Left Tear

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cannot tune out Nock Left Tear

Old 08-09-2007, 07:02 AM

Default Cannot tune out Nock Left Tear

Help please! I have a LH Bowtech Ally setup at 28"DL, 70lbs DW, shooting CE Maxima 350 cut at 27 3/4" shaft length, Blazers, and 125g point. Limbdriver Pro Rest.

I have tried moving rest to the right as far as she goes, no luck. Moved the rest as to the left and the tear gets worse.

No contact with cables or rest with blazers. Cams are timed right. 33 13/16 ATA, 6 7/8 BH: tiller is even. Arrow sits at 90 degrees to string.

Stiff arrow? I tried 100g tips with same result. Tried a 27 inch CE maxima 350 same tear left!

Are these arrows good for my setup? Anybody shooting 250's at 27" and 70lbs.?

Cam lean? Hand Torque? I am in need of help. Thanks, Chad
Old 08-09-2007, 07:52 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Cannot tune out Nock Left Tear

Everytime I cannot get out a nock right tear (RHbow), it is always some sort of clearance problem I am over looking. Especially with blazers cause they are higher. And it gets worse with weak spined arrows.

How fast is your limbdriver dropping? You might want to drop it faster.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:53 AM
NWA
Spike

Hi Chad, I have a RH Liberty and I experienced the same exact thing when tuning my bow. I called Bowtech and spoke with jef in service and he says that the center shot measurment for the Diamond bows is suposed to be close to 1" ( mine measures 15/16" )
I had to mill off .070" of the face of my Wisker Biscuit mount to get enough travel to the left, to obtain a good bullet hole through paper. I even had to mount my sight on the inside of the riser to get enough movement to the left. In your case it would be to the right. While Jeff at Bowtech says he has never heard of someone mounting their sight in this fassion he basicly said if it works, run with it.

This sort of thing is really new to me but my bow shoots great now.

Nick

Old 08-09-2007, 08:08 AM

Does your sight have a level, and are you using it? If you are torquing the bow, that will do it.

If that's not it, start over. Take the rest and nocking point off the bow. Set it up from scratch. Make sure you are in centershot and the arrow is level. Shoot at paper. If you've still got that left tear, try a 75 grain point. If that doesn't do it, try a 150 grain point. The idea here is merely to get it to change.....If your bow isn't maxed out, do it. If that fixes it, change arrows. If your bow is already maxed, try a 250.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:15 PM

Hand torque.

Change your grip a little to see if that helps. Normally a right handed shooter that can't get a left tear to correct, is torquing the bow.

Provided your arrow is adequately spined for the lbs. you're shooting.

Cam lean would be another option to look at.

Make sure your form is correct, including your bow hand, never gripping the bow, even slightly. Relaxed bow hand solves more problems than trying to change equipment to correct problems.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:31 AM

What year Ally is it? I'm guessing that it's an '06 or earlier and that you're suffering from cam lean. If it's an '07 then it's probably something else but you should still check it.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Spike

Are you shooting from the string or a string loop. My brother in-law had the same problem with his Switchback. He tried everything. Even bought a drop away rest. Still no good. I told him to try a string loop. That fixed the problem. He was getting knock pinch from his release. Todays bows have a shorter axel to axel length, which makes it a bit less forgiving.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:03 PM

Well, I decided to take it to the pro shop today. We tore it apart and noticed a slight bend in top and bottom cams toward the outside. You really couldn't see it unless you placed the cams on a level surface. It was like the cams were cupped on the lobe end. New cams are on order and she is now sitting at the pro shop. I hope to have it back within a week or two.

I moved the center shot out to 1" or more to the right but has still tearing left about 1/2" instead of 1 3/4". The spine it optimum for my setup and it chrono'd at 295-297 consistently when maxed out at 68.9lbs. I am pleased with the speed for a 398g arrow. Spine was not the culprit.

Thanks to everyone responding and trying to help me out. I learn more asking questions and trying to do this myself.