Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Mathews shooters Please reply >

Mathews shooters Please reply

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mathews shooters Please reply

Old 09-29-2003, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mathews shooters Please reply

I am shooting a mathews lx, and first off I have to say, what a bow. I always thought it would take a good one to top off my q2xl, and I think this one does it. My question is when I first pull back my bow to shoot, the string makes a slight popping noise(only way I can think to describe it), when it comes off the top string suppresor. After the first time though, I am good to go. Has anyone else had this happen, and what did you do to help it? I thought about putting some was on the suppresor, but starting thinking that it might make it worse. Maybe a piece of mole skin if it will stick? I just don' t want it to happen after sitting on stand for hours and a good one comes in and it makes this noise. If any of you have the cure or suggestions, please let me in on it. Thanks, and good luck to everyone this season. Bhunter32
Old 09-30-2003, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mathews shooters Please reply

BH32,

They all do that. It' s the wax on the string and the serving. I cleaned the suppressors w/ 90% Isopropyl alcohol and that stopped it for a couple of days.

Might give that a whirl. Moleskin might work too but may affect tune/POI.

Old 09-30-2003, 05:14 AM

The same thing is going on with my LX.The mole skin won' t stay on,so I' ll try the alcohol.That ticking sound can drive you crazy,one thing I always do is when I first get up in my stand,is nock an arrow and draw back in few positions.After this,the ticking sound is gone.You know,my Q2 had the same " tick" ,but it came from the limb pockets,and I was able to fix that...Bob
Old 09-30-2003, 05:58 AM

The string sticking to the suppressor.........!@#$!!! ......I have thought that tick was coming from one of the rollers !! Thanks guys.......I just had e-mailed Mathews about this !! Should have known .....cause it only does it on the first pull !
Old 09-30-2003, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

I just got an e-mail from Art Henderson at mathews and he said that it could be from excessive wax build up or a little string and cable stretch has caused my brace height to be slightly off. I have a winners choice string and cables on it and my measurements are exactly 6 5/8 brace and 35 3/4 axle to axle, which is what he told me to check. So that is not the problem. He said I could put a piece of moleskin on it, but I thought it might alter the tune a little like mentioned in a previous post, and that it won' t stick. I just e-mailed them again, so I am stil trying to get an answer I am happy with. I' ll let you all know. Bhunter32.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:16 PM

Interesting post!! I have an LX and am having the same popping noise! I thought that it was coming from the roller guard. I am anxious to hear a solution, as the season opener is tomorrow.
I don' t think it is loud enough to spook game, but then you just never know!!
BHunter32 - please reply as soon as you hear back from Mathews.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:20 PM

We had a guy that shot his LX all summer for 3D and his started to make a popping noise. We finally found out after lots of looking around that the thimbles on the top limb were causing a slight pop when the bow was drawn. We removed the thimbles and put a dab of grease under them. It seems to have solved the problem.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, here is the reply that I got from Art Henderson at mathews. The concept of the string sticking to the suppresor is the same concept as a piece of glass sticking to a countertop over a period of time(yeah, that helps [X(]). The only solution I got from him was that the area has to be totally free of wax to keep this from happening, or replace the rubber suppresor. Now why should I have to replace a suppresor on a new bow that has roughly had 200 arrows shot off of it. Not the answer I was looking for, but I have tried twice with mathews and still havn' t got a decent answer. I give up. I will just try and clean the wax off the suppresor and the string where it meets it, draw my bow back every now and then on stand, and hope for the best. Such a great bow, and something so small that just bugs the heck out of you and no real decent answer from a great bow maker other than what I got. I love their bows, but get kinda tired of their short responses that really don' t help to solve easy problems. Maybe someone else can have better luck, and please let me know if you do. Bhunter32.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:05 PM

Its sounds to me that putting the alcohol might weaken the integrity of the string. Thats just my opinion. I just put a new Zebra string on mine and I have to say its made quit a difference in the sound and performance of my bow
Old 10-01-2003, 10:30 AM

I was making all of my final adjustments on my bow last night and started researching the mysterious popping sound......sure enough, it is coming from the string suppressors! I have a winners choice string with X-coat (no wax yet) and it is still making the sound. It doesn' t make the sound, necessarily on every draw cycle, but enough to be a concern!

I removed the string and cleaned off the suppressors and it seemed to help a LITTLE.

I' m going to email Mathews as well! Maybe if enough Mathews users email in regards to this issue, they will get off their duffs and fix the problem. A simple solution may be for them to change the compound of the suppressor or the consistancy of the rubber. Who knows?

Quick Reply: Mathews shooters Please reply

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.