Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow Trap Shooting >

Bow Trap Shooting

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Trap Shooting

Old 05-22-2003, 09:00 PM

Default Bow Trap Shooting

If a bow was designed and built to enable an archer to shoot and compete in trap shooting (clay pidgeons), would anyone be interested? If that design also enabled you to shoot birds on the wing from doves to geese, would you be interested in that as well?
Old 05-22-2003, 09:51 PM
AK

Default RE: Bow Trap Shooting

Sure...which is " in part" why I shoot them.

Old 05-22-2003, 09:55 PM

AK, what is your success rate?
Old 05-23-2003, 03:17 PM

If you ever get a chance, check out an old Ben Pearson flick called " Legondary Hunts of Ben Pearson" . It from back in the fiftys but it was quite fun to watch. He hunts ducks and pheasants among many other things.

-Chief
Old 05-23-2003, 03:32 PM

Chief Head Hunter:

Thanks a lot for the info. I will check it out.

What I' m talking about is a bow without arrows. Shooting lead shot from a bow for the shear challenge and enjoyment of powdering clay pidgeons in the air. Much safer than flinging arrows at great distances and you need less room.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:54 PM
AK

Jeff, I' d guess around 1 in 10 for birds on the wing. If I actually practiced moving aerial shots with any degree of regularity, I' m sure that ratio would improve. I once watched an elderly fellow bust aspirin after aspirin out of the air with a recurve and flu-flu' s. It' s amazing what can be done with practice.

On aerial/bird shooting, there is an add in a 1950' s era archery magazine I have for a " shotgun" arrow. Some company took a standard flu-flu and mounted a canister full of small spikes on the front. The idea was that as the large fletchings quickly slowed the arrow, the spikes would exit the canister and travel outward in a " shot" pattern towards the bird. It seems that product lasted only as long as the arrow' s flight, though.

Perhaps you are referring to African " pellet bows" ? I read of them in a magazine about a year ago. Certain tribes in the African Bush make bows specifically for shooting pellets/stones. They fix a leather pouch to the center of their bowstrings, which they load up with single or multiple pellets. I remember they apparently do quite well with them.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:22 PM

AK, thanks

Pretty rewarding to hit birds on the wing. You should be proud. We want to get more people better in practice on clay pidgeons. It can make all archers better shots. I suppose people could use some type of sight, but I feel instinctive is the way to go.

Byran Ferguson is who your are talking about. Not many people can be that good or even want or have the time to try.

I' ve seen those " shotgun" arrows you are talking about. They do not perform well at all because you must accelerate not only the weight of the shot, but also the weight of the arrow. The arrow is a waste because it is not used for the impact of the target.

We do not use a pouch on the string either. It is a special sabot that is fired though a reciprocating tube. Very safe this way! Archer still holds the draw weight when he releases. It is incredible and fun to shoot. I have no doubt you would love it. Your success rate would climb. More challenging with a bow than a gun, isn' t it? You must have fun. I feel a lot more people would be able to do the same because we have an inexpensive and fun way to practice. Nothing gets wounded either. I noticed you use a stick bow. Ours is a compound but you' re making me think here. I should make one with a recurve. It would be much lighter as well. Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:33 PM
AK

Jeff, I' ve seen Byron' s TV clips. He is an excellent archer. The fellow I watched at a rendezvous, however, was another gentleman. I' m drawing a blank on his name at the moment, but I remember he was in his mid-80' s and shooting a lightweight recurve. I was impressed because he was able to pull it off while standing, kneeling, and laying on his belly...and at that age!

Focused practice is certainly the key. On the aerial target range (hand thrown from ~15 yds), I' ve watched many average Joe' s thump the heck out almost every target. Clearly, they practice that type of shooting as well. I know that when I shoot aerials at various rendezvous (with long time spans in between), I start out pretty bad, but improve alot after a couple dozen arrows. I listened to Asbell speak once on the importance of " picking a spot" . He mentioned that when he shoots quarters and washers out of the air, he doesn' t shoot to hit the quarter, but shoots to hit the very center of the quarter.