Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Trap Shooting >

Trap Shooting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Trap Shooting

Old 02-19-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Trap Shooting

Hey guys, well we had no school today so we decided to head out to the conservation club and do some trap shooting. My friend used a Brazilian O/U, his brother used a mossberg 500 12 gauge with raised rib for skeet and i used my NEF Single shot 12 gauge. Now keep in mind this was my third time ever going trap shooting, first time with my new gun and i hit 25-35 pigeons i had the opportunity to shoot not bad i say. Any how this thread has a point, how many of you trap shoot, whats your gun of choice and what gauge, and what ammo do you use? We just use the Winchester 100 round value packs from Wal-Mart for $15.

P.S. My friends Mossberg seems to be having some problems. First off this morning i was messin around with it, fired a few shells, turned the safety on, turned it off fired 3 more shells and then it refused to fire. We took it apart, looked at it and couldn't figure out was was wrong so we put it down and he just fired the trap shooter. Well about an hour later it magically started firing again. Any idea what the problem is?
Old 02-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Trap Shooting

I use to trap shoot a lot, now I like shooting sporting clays more, so I haven't shot trap in a few months. I shoot either my Remington 1100, ported, Briley extended chokes. Or, I bought a Browning Citori Lighting Sporting Clays Edition, which I have only shot trap a few times with. I usually average 23 out of 25 in trap with either gun. One of my friends shoots a Perazzi trap gun, its pretty sweet. Oops forgot ammo, I used to shoot the Federal stuff from Wal-Mart and I liked it. Now I shoot the Federal Top-Gun ammo from MidwayUSA. And 12 gauge.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:57 PM

I may sound stupid, but whats the difference between sporting clays and trap shooting?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Trap shooting- There are 5 shooters standing in a half-moon behind the trap house and shoot one at a time at one clay. 5 shots each at 5 stations around the half-moon.

Sporting Clays- Usually 10 stations. 10 shots at each station, you shoot at two clays everytime you say "pull". The clays come from any and every direction(behind,side to side, straight on, etc...)
Old 02-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

My gun of chioce is a rem 870 for trap shooting in 20 gauge. some of you may think that a pump is not good for trap but keep in mind that imasophmore in high school and Its the best shot gun I have avaliable.
I also use the 15$ 100 pack of shells from wall mart.

I have two mossberg 500's and i have no ideawhy that would happen but whatever it was good luck
Old 02-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nothing at all wrong with a pump action for trap. It is, after all, a single shot sport, so quick follow-up shots aren't necessary.

I use a 12 gauge Browning Citori Special Sporting Clays Edition for Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays. I reload 18.5 grains of 700-X, with 1 1/8 ounces of 7 1/2 in Winchester AA Hulls, or 1 1/8 ounces of 8 shot in Remington Premier Hulls. For sporting clays, I'll use the red AA's for longer shots, and the green Premiers for shorter shots.

Also, Jeepkid, sporting clays ranges are different everywhere, and you don't get doubles every time. Sometimes you get singles, sometimes you get "following pairs" where the second bird is thrown at the sound of the shot on the first bird, and sometimes you get "true pairs" where both birds are thrown simultaneously. Every trap range in the entire country is the same. Every skeet range in the entire country is the same. Every sporting clays range in the country is different, and that adds to the challenge.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Every sporting clays range in the country is different, and that adds to the challenge.
I have onereal close to me that General Shwarzkoph is part owner.

If no one here has ever tried it, you're missing out onalot of fun!
Old 02-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Absolutely! I've shot at 20 or more different sporting clays courses in Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi. Tons of fun, every time. Well, except for a couple of times at Champion Lake in Houston when they set up extremely tough tournament targets...

I took my son out for his first shotgunning lesson last Sunday. We went to a local skeet range. Expectations weren't great, because he'd never done it before, and I hadn't been to a skeet range in over 10 years. He dusted his first target and finished with 5/25 for his first round, and then shot a 9/25 for his second round. I thought he did really well, as he really improved in the second half of the second round.

I figured, having had a long layoff, that I'd be happy shooting 15's. I wound up with an 18 and a 22, so I was quite pleased. On the 22, the only birds I dropped were the two at Station 8, and the first of the double at Station 2. I had nailed the first six targets, and the trapper said "So... going for a perfect round this time, right?" Of course, I immediately missed the next target...

Anyway, my son says skeet is now his favorite sport.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ipsc shooter

Anyway, my son says skeet is now his favorite sport.
I got hooked on Skeet in 1972 at Cigar City "Skeet & Trap Club here in Tampa, FL.. We also have another one called "Double Eagle".

I like shooting Skeet with my Quail Gun a Win mod.12 20ga. I had 2 Mec Jrs going all the time!
Old 02-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, my son used a Beretta A303 Youth 20 gauge. I've got a MEC 600 Jr. set up for the 20, and a MEC 9000 (I think) set up for my 12 gauge.

I actually started shooting trap when I was about 13 (around 1970) using a Winchester 370 Jr., 20 gauge. Sweet little single shot that I bought with money earned mowing yards and babysitting. I think Trap is bigger up north (I grew up in Illinois), whereas Skeet is bigger here in the South.

Quick Reply: Trap Shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.