Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Trap and Clay shooting

Old 09-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Trap and Clay shooting

I was just wondering how many of you go trap shooting and clay shootin? I belong to a local gun club that has great machines. its all voice activated. I use a browning Bps 12gauge witha 28" barrel so i can shoot hanicap. I love the look in those rich guys faces when i stand next to them and out shoot them with my cheap pump and there using there o/u and single barrel trap gun that cost as much as me. lol. the best part is that im only 16 and i continue to get better.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trap and Clay shooting

I use to shoot my 870 field gun when I 1st started. Then I got a used BT-99------scores went up. I still use it now I'm an A shooter in singles & have went back to the 27 yard line.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

i tired the Bt-99 at my gun club 5 orso times. it didnt work for me i short worse. maybe the white bead or somthing or maybe it just didnt fit me well.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

i know what you mean about takin the old guys to school.....i shot a mossberg 500.....bought it for like 135 bucks used i think....it was in great shape.....but i was shooting skeet for the first time EVER and shot better then most of the guys there....first round was a 19 i think....second was a 21......im a natural at clay busting.....something about it....i dont know....my buddys set up their own "sporting clays" course using throwers and guys everywhere....above you..behind you beside you coming at you going away crossing....minis middies battues rabbits.......thats the funnest clay game.....skeet is FAST and CLOSE......i thought about joining a league......but its kinda expensive.......plus id have to drive pretty far just to shoot every week........i just shoot clays for fun and practice once in a while now though......maybe one day.......good luck.....keep takin the old guys to school with your hunting gun!! i love the look on their faces.....waht? your first time? shooting a mossberg 500???? WHAT!?!?!?
Old 09-13-2004, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I so here you on that note Mauser06 at my gun club I used a mossberg 500 against all the guys with there more expensive O/U shotguns, there was one time I shot a 25 on trap at 27 yards with no handicap, and this A$$hole had the nerve to ask me to leave because I was making a mockery of a respected gun club with my Mossberg 500, all I did was shoot good with a cheap gun and this guy was really pissed at me. I refused to leave shot another round this time shot a 24 and that same poor sap with his Browning O/U shot a 21 and blamed me for it he said that my mossberg 500 distracted his concentration, he once again ask me to leave I refused to he then took off pouting and cussing all the way to his car. I didnt know it but the range master was watching this the whole time he gave me a free round of trap and told that jerk he was not allowed back unless he showed better sportsmanship.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

I started shooting trap three years ago. I have three shotguns (Beretta O/U, Benelli Nova and Benelli Super 90 SA) that I rotate weekly. My scores have been averaging 22-23 this year after starting around 14-15 my first year. The only reason I shoot trap is to practice for hunting so I like to get comfortable with all three.

The guys/ women at my club have some very nice O/U's and singles, but they never are showy or say anything negative about anyones gun. When I asked one elder club member about why he shoots an expensive O/U , he said that he shoots 500+ rounds a week and that a shotgun made especially for trap will withstand that type of punishment.
The best two best pheasant hunters I every hunted with shoot a Ithaca pump and SBE. Big contrast in price, but it is what works for them. Shoot what you guns(s) you like have fun with it.

I look at it this way, everyone spends there money differently. I like upland, bow hunting, duck hunting, deer/ elk hunting , turkey hunting and dog training. I can't afford the best of everything but if I focused on one thing....I would probably focus big dollars on it.

Since I really just do the trap thing to get ready for hunting, I have just started to shoot sporting clays and love it. I wish I would have been shooting sporting clays earlier....much closer to hunting. I wish there was a trap/sporting clays message board.

-Mathewsconquest2