Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Gaurdian cams hitting cables >

Gaurdian cams hitting cables

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Gaurdian cams hitting cables

Old 01-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Spike

Default Gaurdian cams hitting cables

Hello!

I'm wondering if I could get some insight as to solving a problem with my 2007 Bowtech Gaurdian.

I just switched out the string and cables from the original set, and after getting set up to shoot around 20-50 arrows to stretch the string, I noticed that when at full draw, the top of the top cam (turned all the way over) extends down towards the grip far enough that the inside edge of the top of the cam (not the module, the cam itself) rubs the end of the serving on the cable. I checked the original cables and there is no sign of rubbing, and I can actually feel the serving grab the edge of the cam right before I hit the wall, so I think that I would have noticed if this had been happening prior to changing strings. I fiddled around with the cables for a bit, putting another twist into the string and taking a couple out (which didn't seem to affect the problem at all) and finally ended up switching out the Sims cable slide for the original that came on the bow, and crossing the cables above the gaurd. With this setup, the cam doesn't rub the cable, but the clearance is so minimal that you can barely see daylight between the two at full draw. Also, I belive that bow is designed to cross cables below the gaurd, and, although I haven't even tried to tune yet, it shoots pretty funky (about 1 foot higher than previous at only 5 yards.)

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this clearance problem and if there's some inherent basic step that I missed when switching out the strings. Am I looking at some type of timing problem? I've heard that Bowtechs can be heck to time after switching strings out but I was under the impression that the binary cam system eliminated timing problems. The bow is 60# with a 30.5" draw length, CPO.5 modules, with WC 56 11/16" string and 38 1/4" cables.

The nearest pro-shop that works on BT's is over 90 miles away, and the owners manual is really no help at all,so I'm trying to muddle through this myself, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate it.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gaurdian cams hitting cables

I don't have the answer to your problem but my 08 Guardian crosses above the guard....

If below they rub like this....

Old 01-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

I think the owner's manual for the 2007 bows says to never cross the cables above the cable guard, but the Guardians are the opposite. It has to cross above the guard to function properly. It may say that somewhere in the book but I didn't see it. Fix that and your bow should be fine unless shooting it like that caused damge. Hopefully doing that didn't void your warranty but I wouldn't be surprised. Good luck
Old 01-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Spike

Thanks for the feedback guys. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the bow from shooting it w/ the cables crossed below. I found a pretty good thread on ArcheryTalk about setting up binary cams. Obviously I'm pretty new to doing this type of work, but I'm sure learning alot about the bow through trial and error! Thanks again!