Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Changing Hoyt Trykon Cams with Vectrix or Katera Cams?? >

Changing Hoyt Trykon Cams with Vectrix or Katera Cams??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Changing Hoyt Trykon Cams with Vectrix or Katera Cams??

Old 02-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Changing Hoyt Trykon Cams with Vectrix or Katera Cams??

I was wondering if it is possible toinstall Hoyt Vectrix cams or Hoyt Katera cams on a Hoyt Trykon XL.This would give me the new bow feel without the price.The cams appear similar but not sure if the will fit.I love my Trykon but would like to ease the valley up some.If so what other components on the bow would I need to change?.Any response would helpful.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Changing Hoyt Trykon Cams with Vectrix or Katera Cams??

The price probably won't justify it.Hoyt charges an arm and a leg for new cams,even if they will work,which I suspect they will but a call to Hoyt will get you the info you need from that standpoint.

You will need cams,strings and cables.Not sure what that will do to the poundage on your bow but itshouldn't change it.

You are probably looking at $200 for that swap,maybe more after all is said and done.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

This would give me the new bow feel without the price
Not hardly.

New cams ($150+), custom string lengths made($80 - $120), and possibly new limbs with different deflection rates ($200+) and if you need the services of a pro shopto change all of this stuff up add in another $50 - $75for labor.

A very expensive way to void your warranty on a perfectly good bow. You would be better off buying a bow with the specs that you want.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks BB I wasnt even thinking about limbs changes.If all I had to do was put $250 into it I think it would be worth it since I bought bow from friend for $225.I really like the weight and feel of the Trykon in my hand but I would like to have a smoother draw thats why I was thinking of modifying it.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

This would give me the new bow feel without the price
Not hardly.

New cams ($150+), custom string lengths made($80 - $120), and possibly new limbs with different deflection rates ($200+) and if you need the services of a pro shopto change all of this stuff up add in another $50 - $75for labor.

A very expensive way to void your warranty on a perfectly good bow. You would be better off buying a bow with the specs that you want.
Not sure of the prices of the cams, but I know the custom strings can be had for considerably cheaper, and if you are going to a bow shop that charges that much for labor I think I should go kiss my shop owner on the mouth. I don't think I've paid that much in the 15 yrs. I've been going to him.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

How long do you figure it will take to completely break down a bow to nothing but parts, put it all back together, retime the cams, retune the bow, and set up the draw length, peep, etc... to fit the customer?And all of this being doneto a bow that wasn't designed to have this done to it.

Were not talking about setting a peep or tying in a loop. We are talking about basically building a custom bow from parts.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:32 AM

If you want that new bow feel on a Trykon, install an STS system.

Otherwise, just get a new bow. It will be cheaper, better, and you'll be happier with it.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

How long do you figure it will take to completely break down a bow to nothing but parts, put it all back together, retime the cams, retune the bow, and set up the draw length, peep, etc... to fit the customer?And all of this being doneto a bow that wasn't designed to have this done to it.

Were not talking about setting a peep or tying in a loop. We are talking about basically building a custom bow from parts.
Really not a whole lot more than installing a NEW set of strings, is it. A couple cams swapped out, and new strings, I can't see why you'd need to change limbs, unless there's something I'm missing. Yet at the same time, I'm not real sure why he'd be wanting to swap the cams either. I had a buddy who had his bow "blow up" on him this fall, and he was out the door for $15, and that was: New limbs, cams, and strings (including bus and control cables), having a peep served in, string leeches and a new nock set. Didn't take them 20 minutes.