Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Explain tuning to me >

Explain tuning to me

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Explain tuning to me

Old 01-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Explain tuning to me

Newbie Bowhunter here.

I read a lot of tuning. Paper tuning is a term I hear thrown around.

What is tuning. How do you do it? What does it mean? Etc?

Old 01-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Explain tuning to me

In "tuning" your bow you are attempting to get your arrow to fly as straight as possible out of your set-up, and achieve the optimal flight towards the target. For me personally, I'm a hunter that shoots a bow, vs. a target archer, and what I find works best for me is getting everything "eyeballed" as near set, and shooting to zero one pin at a given distance 15-25yds, depending on set-up. Once I zero that pin, make sure I'm not having fletch clearance/contact issues, etc, I move on to fine tuning. I'll perform a walk-back tune, in which you use the same pin and shoot at increasing distances, 15-25-35-40 and see if the arrow pattern trends in one direction or not, and tweak the rest in the direction you want that pattern re-align themselves and try again. After doing a walk-back, I screw on some BH's, spin them to make sure they are TRUE to the arrow, and BH tune. Again, tweaking the rest to get optimalgroupings in which my FP's and BH's hit the same spot.

This link http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=539460gives a good demonstration of step-by-step BH tuning with a bow. It's been viewed over 35,000 times and with good reason.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a link to easton's tuning guide,read it front to back.Much of it will be like a foreign language but it will get you started in the right direction in understanding what people are talking about and if you actually read it,you will be leap years ahead of most bowhunters out there today(only from the tuning aspect)There are many great hunters out there that don't know squat about tuning.

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/tuning_guide.pdf

I have a sticky at the top as well that is also helpfull once you get past the basic setup.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

[:@]