Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sound control

Old 11-14-2007, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Sound control

Mentioned earlier that I stepped up the sound deadening on my bow this past summer. After shooting at several deer, some a clean miss, sad to admit, not one deer has reacted at the shot. I'm very pleased with the results.

2 things I did besides getting it to shoot (tuned) as well as I could was ad a limbsaver pad for the drop rest and I took the rest it's self apart. In the housing I poured melted wax from a candle and then closed it back up. Once it dried I shot it. Had no ill effect on it's operation and greatly reduced the spring noise going on inside. I thought cold weather may do something but it never has.

Couldn't be more happier as it gave me more than one shot at the same deer. They really were clueless.

Never heard anyone mention anything about the use of wax that way so I thought I'd say something. Could be used other places like limb pockets or anywhere things need to move and need to be quieted. Even stands.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sound control

wow.. really cool idea! what type rest did you do this to?
Old 11-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sound control

It's a converted spring rest. GKF turned the infinity rest into a drop away. I think they just used the same setup but crancked the spring backwards which makes it stay down instead of up. Spot hog nows sells it, but I don't think they have it as a drop away. The spring inside would vibrate at the shot. Dropping the wax inside stopped it and didn't hurt the way it worked.

I had a site once with a long fiber cable wrapped around it. It rattled too. I taped that one but I think the wax would have worked better. Sometimes when I have something that catchs or squeeks I rub a candle on it. I guess my brain just took a leap. Great for putting on a door stike plate when a door won't shut without turning the handle.