Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

new rabbit dogs?

Old 12-27-2002, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default new rabbit dogs?

I am going to be getting 2 beagles in about 5 months or so. This will be my first set of rabbit dogs. I was just wondering if they are giong to be rabbit dogs do I have to leave them in a fenced in area and never really pet them or play with them other than when I am hunting. I have heard that if you do they won’t listen to you out in the field. Is there any other good pointers any of you have for me? Anything would be appreciated.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:01 PM

Default RE: new rabbit dogs?

I think I can help. I just got my first beagle last year and since the wife insisted that it would be a house dog first and foremost I was scared for the same reasons you are, that she wouldn't turn out to be good for rabbits. Boy, was I wrong! She is by far the best dog I've ever hunted with! I think the key is spending as much time with them as possible, but be practical, I'm not suggesting your life revolve around them but you should be sure to play with them and discipline them when needed. Establish yourself as the alpha male and they will do their best for you. Another thing, whoever thinks that pushing a dogs nose in their crap is bad for the dog is crazy, let me tell you something, Bailey got her face planted a few times and by the time she was @4months old she was completely house trained and is still the best mannered dog I have ever had, loves to play and understands the difference between no and NO. My buddy has a beagle pup he got this year and that damn thing is a poop factory! He's pushin' more baby ruths out on my buddy's carpet than a chocolate factory could! So he asks me how I trained Bailey and when I told him he says that's not how your supposed to do it, you're supposed to give them a stern NO and then give them a time out. A WHAT! Well I told him that after he untaped his weiner from between his legs he might see that the dog was doing a better job of training him, and if he wants to trick or treat for beagle factory snickers bars everytime he comes home from work that he's got it made, but if he wants a dog that will go outside and read the paper while it makes tootsie rolls he just might want to start lettin that dog get a good whiff up close and personal and about one or two smacks on its a$$!
Sorry, I may have gone off on a bit of a tangent there at the end but the point is this, don't let some idiot try and teach you that dogs should be treated like kids, cause they shouldn't they should be treated like dogs and they will respect and adore you with the proper guidance, don't misconstrue(?) discipline for beatings they are not the same and I have never beat a dog, it's unfair to the dog and the once I did witness it, it made me sick. Just know that a good house dog can also be a hell of a huntin dog! Good Luck!
Old 01-07-2003, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info Jolly Roger. I guess nobody else knows anything about beagles.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:36 PM

I agree with Jolly. There is absolutley no reason a house dag can't be a great hunter. In fact, I'd take an indoor dog first, because they're better adjusted, listen better and have better "communication" than a dog left in a kennel till it's time to hunt. I have 2 beagles now and both are indoors. And the best part is they keep you feet warm laying at the end of the bed!

Trushot }}------>
Old 01-11-2003, 05:43 PM

As the others have said,they can be a pet along with being a hunting dog.I have raised beagles for the past 30 years.all the pups are raised in the yard with my (pet dog).they have always came out fine. I have only had two that would not really hunt.
disipline is a must,to be able to control them in the field.you show them love and they will try to please you in the field.when they do things right make sure you praise them and give a little extra attention,a little love goes a long way to a puppy.just don't try to do to much at a time,there attention span is short when young.
some people put there pups in a kennel and never touch them except poking a pill down tnem or sticking a neddle from a shot into them.they put feed in a feeder and never pet them.then they can't understand why they can't catch the dog when they turn them into the field.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:54 AM
Spike

I agree a beagle can be a pet as well as a hunting dog. However, depending on location should determine if the dog lives indoors or out. Up here in Michigans U.P. our winters get pretty rough. I have hunted with a pair of very good beagles owned by my hunting partnes cousin and his friend. My partners cousin keeps all his beagles outside all the time. He still spends a lot of time wth the dogs just never in the house. On the other hand his friend keeps his dog in the house as a pet and she is still a pretty good hunter. The trouble comes in for the house dog when the temps are very cold and the snow is deep. A house dog will have shorter hair thus gets cold faster. Also their feet are not as tough and in cruchy snow they tend to go gimp on ya in a hurry. For these reasons I feel if you have a beagle for rabbit hunting in the frozen north it should be kenneled outside at all times to get used to the conditions and it will enjoy the hunt as much if not more than you. Good luck with your new pups.

LIVE TO HUNT,HUNT TO LIVE.