Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Dogs for rabbit hunting

Old 02-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Dogs for rabbit hunting

is there another breed of dog besides beagles that can rabbit hunt? what breed(s)?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:52 PM

Default RE: Dogs for rabbit hunting

Spaniels are used for rabbit hunting in the UK, and I've shot several rabbit while bird hunting with my Springer. My experience is that a spaniel just jumps the rabbit, hopefully past you, for a shot rather than running it in a circle as Beagles do. If you decide to use a spaniel for rabbits make sure the dog is steady to the flush so as to avoid accidentally shootinga dog that might be in hot pursuit.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Flairball

If you decide to use a spaniel for rabbits make sure the dog is steady to the flush so as to avoid accidentally shootinga dog that might be in hot pursuit.
That was my first thought too.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

thanks
Old 02-27-2006, 07:18 PM

Leave that spaniel in the back of the truck, get a real versatile dog.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:34 PM

Nice photo, but your dog looks like he needs a shave...I must admit, I've got a soft spot for GWPs. I've got one too, and have shot rabbits with him, but not as many, or as memorable as those I've shot with my springer. Perhaps, I'll have another GWP in the future, but so farhis number oneattribure hasn't been his abilities in the field, but his incredibly social behavior at home.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:10 PM

Well if that GWP isn't a better dog in the field than a springer, I would shoot it. I have never hunted with a springer that was worth feeding. Bird busting things that can't smell their own pile of poop.[&:]
Old 02-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Fork Horn

Nice pic
Old 02-28-2006, 07:57 AM

Truth be told.....

Springers are clearly far suprerior. Your own post supports this. Springers can indeed smell their own piles of poop. They are just smart enough to know I'm not hunting poop. Perhaps there is a trainer who can poop proof your dog. It must be terrible to have to constantly search for a stick with which to scrape the excerment from your boot after walking into each point. Anyway, have a nice day.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Pointing Lab does pretty good with bunnys too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.