Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

squirrel/rabbit hunting with dogs

Old 10-21-2003, 02:57 PM

Default squirrel/rabbit hunting with dogs

Hey guys. I ran a search and couldn' t find quite what I was looking for. Does anyone hunt squirrels or rabbits with dogs? I would like to get a small game hunting dog soon, but I really have no clue how it works. If I knew how it is supposed to work, I could go about training a dog. What does a squirrel/rabbit hunt look like with dogs? I would probably get a smaller dog such as a beage or maybe even a spaniel. What other dogs would anyone suggest? Thanks.
Michael.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:09 PM

Default RE: squirrel/rabbit hunting with dogs

It' s common practice here to either buy a beagle that is a proven hunter or a pup, and run that pup with experienced dogs for a season or two.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:52 PM

i have 28 hunting dogs 5 coon hounds and the rest are beagles. we have got some good beagles. we pile the rabbits when it comes rabbit season. 25 to 35 each trip to the woods. good jump dogs and we have got some real good dogs that can run the track intil there noses fall off. rabbit hunting is fun.

go deep hunt hard.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:22 AM

MY HUNTING BUDDY HAS A " SO CALLED" COON HOUND, THAT RUNS THE FUR OFF OF A RABBIT, AND TREE' S HIS HEART OUT WHERE A SQUIRREL WENT UP A TREE.
NOW I SAY YOU CAN BUY HIM FOR $1.OO OR MAYBE $2.OO
Old 10-23-2003, 08:17 AM

It' s not a common hunting dog, but a rat terrior makes a pretty good squirrel dog. I' m pretty partial to beagle' s and walker hounds for hunting dogs.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:23 PM

My buddy' s and I use mountain cur' s to hunt squirrels.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:04 PM

See again being from Texas, if you don' t see a squirel or rabbit in a day in the city or the country, you should be worried. Never used huntin dogs cept for pigs
Old 10-29-2003, 02:36 AM

A GOOD DOG FOR THAT WOULD BE A TENN. COON HOUND. HA HA HA
Old 10-29-2003, 03:23 PM

I have a cousin that breeds squirrel dogs. He won a bunch of championship trophy' s with one in particular. He has a registration for " Tree Curs" . I can' t remember the name of the grand-sire that he started the line with, but I had a grandpup out of him, and it was the dang smartest dog I have ever had! I never got to hunt him tho, because someone stole him. My cousin is located in Muskogee Oklahoma. Do a search for Cur or Black Mountain Cur/Mountain Cur or Treeing Cur.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:54 AM

Tujiro
Could you get me the name and number of you cousin? I live in Oklahoma. That' s an easy trip!

Quick Reply: squirrel/rabbit hunting with dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.