Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Dogs, Cold weather ?

Old 01-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Dogs, Cold weather ?

What do you do with you dogs when the temp drops to 5-15 above?
I've been bringing them inside at night, The puppies stay out all day (about 30 for a high), but the old dog only wants out to go pee then wants back in again.

Just wondering what everybody else does.

Good Luck. Capt Brad>
Old 01-17-2003, 08:07 PM

Default RE: Dogs, Cold weather ?

I just leave all of them in the pen. Put a heat light in for the puppies & some hay for the older ones. They'll all curl up together & warm each other up too. It rarely gets below about 25 here, so I don't worry too much about them.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:44 PM

It gets as low as 36 degrees below zero up here. My dogs have insulated dog houses and when it gets down to about zero I fill them to the top with straw and let the dogs tunnel their way in. My Chessie is sitting outside in the run most of the time and same thing for my lab. If they can't take the cold up here we eliminate them from the gene pool. It also gets over a 100 degrees in the summer.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-19-2003, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Being in California (Central) i never worry too much about the weather being dangerously cold for dogs but i would think some sort of bed warmer or something of that nature for dog pens/houses. I wouldn't suggest an regular electric blanket unless you can somehow hide the cord. I heard there is some sort of anti-chewing spray you can get at Petsmart that is suppose to taste and/or smell so bad that puppies won't want to have any of it. Not sure for a fact though. I'd ask around or check on here more, especially from hunters/dog owners who live in colder states.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Live to hunt, hunt to live, be the eyes of the hawk <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 01-25-2003, 09:54 PM

I lived in Northern Maine and my Gordon Setter pretty much refused to sleep inside. Doghouse full of straw, thats it. He hated being inside, so I only made him come in when it got colder than -35 or so... and even then he was miserable all night