HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new rabbit dogs?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2003, 04:54 AM
HAWKEYES
Spike

Default RE: new rabbit dogs?

I agree a beagle can be a pet as well as a hunting dog. However, depending on location should determine if the dog lives indoors or out. Up here in Michigans U.P. our winters get pretty rough. I have hunted with a pair of very good beagles owned by my hunting partnes cousin and his friend. My partners cousin keeps all his beagles outside all the time. He still spends a lot of time wth the dogs just never in the house. On the other hand his friend keeps his dog in the house as a pet and she is still a pretty good hunter. The trouble comes in for the house dog when the temps are very cold and the snow is deep. A house dog will have shorter hair thus gets cold faster. Also their feet are not as tough and in cruchy snow they tend to go gimp on ya in a hurry. For these reasons I feel if you have a beagle for rabbit hunting in the frozen north it should be kenneled outside at all times to get used to the conditions and it will enjoy the hunt as much if not more than you. Good luck with your new pups.

LIVE TO HUNT,HUNT TO LIVE.