Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Gun dog for Colorado

Old 06-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gun dog for Colorado

The water is very cold here during duck season so I would recommend a lab. Also the pheasants here are mostly running and will not hold tight for the most part.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't worry too much about water temp. There are very few places in North America that get colder than where I am. I am anticipating no problems with regards to my pudelpointer going in the water. Yes, labs are well known to being able to deal with cold water, but they are not the only dogs that can do it. With the breeds that have been thrown on the table so far, I don't think you will have any problem whatsoever with water temp.

Cheers,
Old 06-03-2006, 11:17 AM

Mustad,

I live in one of those places where the water gets colder than even you. The versatiles do just fine. In fact, my shorthair routinely swims in glacial rivers when duck hunting, and that water is actually below 32 degrees due to the salt content.From my experience, the only waters that a versatile really do not do okay in is ocean hunting. I would want a large lab or a chessie if I did a lot of sea duck hunting out in the salt. Big waves, strong current, extremely cold water = the larger labs and chessies excel in this environment. I have had my shorthair and my lab swimming in the salt and there is a difference out there.

The other thing about eastern Colorado is that most of the waterfowling is done in large winter wheat fields, corn fields, etc. very little large water bodies to hunt out there.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

Oh come on AM,

Next thing, you'll start telling me that the moose are bigger in your neck of the woods. Oh wait... they are )

Cheers,
Old 06-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is alot of good input here for you to decide on. Myself I like
the Irish Setter they are very good with small children and have been
noted to get between children and trouble.Their history tells you they can be very versatile.They can run big when needed and be brought in close ranging when the need requires.I hunt open fields and the big cedar/alder
swamps here with them.I do not care for duck hunts, however my Irish loves water. I had to pull him out of the ice this spring as he had seen water and decided to jump in on me. For as far as being left alone that could be a problem for a young one. As they do not like being bored. Although I had a friend who had one loose and that one stayed around
for him really well.

The biggest down fall is finding the hunting variety and not the show,
so good luck on what you decide.