Colorado Help

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Colorado Help

Old 02-28-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Colorado Help

Hello,
I may be relocating to Colorado, from Virginia. Looks like I’d be moving to an area somewhere in between Colorado Springs and Denver. If you don’t mind I’d like to ask you guys a few questions.
- I know some parts of the state have desert like conditions and others have lots of vegetation. Where does it change from one to the other?
- What areas have the best deer hunting?
- Is there a lot of national forest or public hunting land available?

Thanks a lot,

KP
Old 02-28-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Colorado Help

Basically, the eastern plains and the western plains are like a desert, I guess. At least there is a lot of cactus and few trees. The mountains are forested with pine. The best deer hunting is arguable. There are some great deer found on the plains, BUT the plains are nearly all private lands, with a few public lands to be found. There are pockets of very good deer hunting in the mountains, along with alot of elk.
Lots of national forest that is open to public hunting!
Old 03-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

Email me if I can be of help.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:47 AM

Compared to where you are the entire place will seem real dry. . . .that said. . the western slopes catch more water than the eastern sides. . . .so. . . .there are some pretty nice woods to be had. The good news is that the game have adapted well to this climate and are to be found.

There are some good places to live between the Springs and Denver.

You will find the real fun begins when you try to navigate the licencing waters. You can chew up many hours in the off season making sure your dream sheet is filled out to hopfully yeild a decent tag for an animal you want.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:52 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

You'll be living right by me...send me a PM or give me a call. I will gladly help where I can.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I've still got about one and a half hurtles to jump over before I can head out that way, so it may not even happen. But I am far enough along that I need to start paying attention to real-estate and so forth in the area. Hunting is a huge part of my life and I'm raising four future hunters, so access to some good hunting areas is a priority. I hunt primarily private property in VA, so I guess I'll have to get used to the public thing if it works out. I’ve heard that there are some huge parks available for hunting. Do any of you know if you can camp while you hunt, or do you have to be out by dark?
Thanks again,
KP
Old 03-02-2007, 11:40 AM

There are some places where you can not camp. They are te blue areas on the map. But on Ntl. forest/blm/ wildlife area, you can camp out. Some of these places also want you to camp in certain areas but you can get away from that by getting away from the main entrance areas and finding your own spot where theres not a lot of hunters.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to Colorado! Hunting here is just like every other state. You will have to learn the areas. There is plenty of land and water to play in. I too am still learning the areas. Hit me up when you get into town and we will try to make things a bit easier for you. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

You gotta learn the areas, like others have said.Also, if I can be of assistance feel free to contact.
Dan
Old 03-27-2007, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Email me for my fone number, Ill help ya as mucha s I can.